Multiple webcams in Resolume (on mac)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Bas
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multiple webcams in Resolume (on mac)

Post by Bas »

Hello,

I'm currently trying out the Mac demo of Resolume 3 Avenue, to see if it suits my needs (I'm making an automated VJ show to acompany my music shows).

I tried out some functionality with the built in iSight camera of my MacBook Pro. It worked very well, so I decided to buy a Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro. I plan to build a setup of 3 to 4 webcams.

The Logitech also works very well. But when it is plugged in, it is the only Capture Device listed under Sources (importing the listed "USB Video Class Video" source shows the image from the Logitech Cam). When plugged out, the iSight camera shows when importing this source.

Is there any way to use both as sources? And even more cams (1 or 2)? I searched the forum, but only found problems with cams of the same make (which doesnt apply here), and which might be different for me because I am on Mac (the problems were for PC).

Also, if I decide to buy more cams, can I go with the same make/model or should I buy something else? Having the same quality throughout sounds appealing to me, but only if it will work correctly.

Setup info:
MacBook Pro (old 15" model with silver keyboard)
2,5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro (via USB hub)
built-in iSight camera

dBom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Multiple cams in Resolume Ave (on mac)

Post by dBom »

Yeah. Having the same issue.
This would be ideal to have multiple camera selection. I ran into similar problems using other software on the Mac.
I think it has something to do with an ID that is assigned to all USB camera devices, so the computer only allows one at a time. The software doesn't have any ability to override this or assign separate IDs to the cameras. Maybe there is something out there, maybe a hardware solution that is used for security camera software or something of that nature.
Firewire has the ability to identify the hardware and assigns different IDs from my knowledge.
I've seen that others on the forums have a tested many set-ups including a mix of firewire, USB and the iSight camera and have gotten a lot of mixed, inconsistent results. So it's hard to be for sure what's going on.
If anyone is having success with multiple cameras, please post some instructions, a tutorial, or video perhaps to show others what to do.
Bart or Edwin? Do you have any input on this?
Thanks.

Bas

Re: Multiple webcams in Resolume (on mac)

Post by Bas »

dBom, were you trying to use an USB cam together with the iSight (like me)? Or 2 USB cams? That would be my next move, to try two USB cams, but at the moment I only have one at home.

Bas

Post by Bas »

Any new input on this, maybe from the developers themselves?

I got my hands on a cheap second webcam (one from HP, also UVC so it works on the mac without drivers). Works great on its own. When plugged in together with the Logitech, and Resolume (Avenue) is started, still only one source is shown in Resolume. It seems kinda random which camera it will choose (however, it's never the built in iSight). Maybe it depends on which USBports they are plugged into. It seems impossible for me to get multiple camera signals.

Anybody who knows how to solve this? Like I said, I'm test-driving Resolume at the moment, and it seems resolume fits all my needs, this issue is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

Bas

Post by Bas »

For testing's sake, I tried the same setup on my PC Computer (with windows XP). Then, on XP which I installed through Boot Camp on my Mini Mac.

The XP-on-PC install gives the same problem (so it might nog be mac-specific). But maybe this has to do with the logitech webcam, which has no windows driver (but works anyway, on its own).

Avenue in Bootcamp (on Mini Mac) doesn't work at all, because it gives an error saying the video card isn't sufficient (which could be true - but it does start up without problems when booting to OS X on the same computer!)

digitalgigalow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by digitalgigalow »

Multiple Cameras can be done. I know it can be done on a MAC, but do not know if it will work on PC. I think you would need a mac to set it up. if you do not have a mac, find a friend that has one. you will need a MAC to setup the cameras. I will post a tutorial in the next couple of days.

NOTE!!!! I suggest that you do NOT use different camera makes/models for this process, ESPECIALLY if you are using a PC. Doing so might create driver conflicts. I suggest that you use the same models this way there is less chance of driver issues.

In my tutorial i will tell you how to setup.

eisbar

Post by eisbar »

where can i find this tutorial?

jjm35

Post by jjm35 »

I have same trouble on PC. only the first one video input is available.

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

I also would love to know how to get multiple USB webcams to work in Resolume 4 on a Mac.