TIP--Controlling Visuals With DAW Track Volumes

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
willcopps
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

TIP--Controlling Visuals With DAW Track Volumes

Post by willcopps »

Don’t get me wrong, FFT analysis is a fantastic feature in Resolume—but it has its limitations. Without the ability to stably and correctly host an audio routing plugin, like Wormhole, to route audio from your digital audio workstation (DAW) into Resolume, you are pretty much stuck performing FFT analysis on what is going in and out of your audio interface pre-DAW (unless you want to get into complicated cable routings). I’ve come up with a fairly simple solution to completely change that, so that now you can use the audio levels of ANY track in your DAW (pre, mid or post-effects) to control parameters in Resolume. You can automate Resolume parameters to sync with your DAW as well. Here’s how!

Please keep in mind I am doing my audio and video on one (admittedly fast!) PC. To do this between an audio PC and a video PC, you will need a way to transfer MIDI between the two. There are many ways to do this, and I won’t get into that here.

The solution is in a free, discontinued VST I found made by Blue Cat Audio called Digital Peak Meter (now replaced by the for-cost Digital Peak Meter Pro, which has more options and may work even better). You can find this free VST at: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... PeakMeter/

This VST converts your track volume to MIDI data (on that grand old 0-127 scale). All you need to do is assign a MIDI CC value to the OUT::Envelope parameter in your DAW, and assign the same CC value to whatever parameter (or link) you would like to affect in Resolume. With the flexibility of Resolume, this means you can control anything—clip opacity, saturation, whatever—with the volume on any given track in your DAW.

Got it? If not, let me explain how I did this in Ableton. I opened the parameters (by clicking the little editing arrow of the VST) and entered MIDI mapping mode in Ableton. I clicked the OUT::Envelope parameter and I turned a knob on my Novation Remote SL 37 that I had assigned to a given MIDI CC value. I then entered Resolume’s MIDI mapping mode and mapped the same CC value (by turning the same knob) to the parameter I wanted to control. I send the MIDI signal from my DAW to Resolume via a MIDI Yoke channel. (http://www.midiox.com/) Got it now? If not, feel free to ask.

In Digital Peak Meter, be sure to adjust the settings so that they work correctly with your effect (decay time). I’ve found putting limiters, compressors and more before the peak meter plugin to be very handy in keeping the track volume, and therefore the video effects, fairly even and responsive.

Try out putting the VST before and after effects! If you are still finding things too jumpy, there’s another great solution: ghost tracks.

Ghost tracks are my name for audio clips that are not sending to your master out. I just route them to an audio interface output that doesn’t go anywhere. So, route your main audio track (be it guitar, synth, whatever) in your DAW to your master out but also double it as a ghost track that doesn't go to your master out. Add a lot of reverb and/or compression to the ghost track. People will never hear this ghost track, but it will have smoother volume changes than the track they are hearing. By putting the Digital Peak Meter here instead of on your track people are hearing, you are smoothing out your visual results as you smooth out the audio.

Ghost tracks also have another great function: sync and automation. You can make any sort of clip you want that no one will ever hear, yet syncs up with effects in your visual work. If you think about it, you could just automate and map any MIDI parameter to an effect in Resolume on a ghost track without worrying about analyzing the audio. But using Digital Peak Meter is a quick and easy way to toss things in quickly live. For example, say you have a drum loop you are slowly bringing up in your DAW, but you want the visual reaction to start before the volume is decently audible. Duplicate your loop onto a ghost track and leave the volume up… your effect will be going once you start the ghost track loop, no matter where the volume is on your actual drum loop during the performance.

The possibilities are endless using peak metering. I won’t get into what is possible even with just two musicians, effects and sidechaining, but using your imagination will take you places. If you have new ideas or approaches, please share! I'd love to hear them.

Disclaimer: I have NO relation to Blue Cat Audio, Ableton or MIDIOX. I just spent a long time looking for a solution like this and it was the only one I had success with! After countless hours of frustration with the Max for Live beta and with dozens of other VSTs, I thought I'd share my success.

rxfromparis

Re: TIP--Controlling Visuals With DAW Track Volumes

Post by rxfromparis »

great info !! i am testing also controlling avenue midi functions thru Live and this should be really interesting, can't wait till they can fix the midi clock sync to really start some serious midi stuff !! thx :))
desktop: Windows 7 64bit , i7 920 2.66Ghz, 12Gb Ram, GTX 950 2Go, WD Velociraptor 300Go, terratec asio phase 26 usb soundcard & midi,Novation Nocturn controlpad, Akai MPK mini, and soon to come : BCR 2000 :))

ronin
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ronin »

Thank you so much for this solution - I can't wait to try it out.
The FFT analysis in Avenue is the best I've seen in software of this ilk, but as I will have many more audio channels I would want to take in as modulators I think this is gonna be a cool way of doing.

I will try to report back when my AV set has progressed.

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Hey guys--seems people are still finding this post, so a quick update:

I've switched to Envelope Follower, part of the Max for Live Essentials suite.

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/max-live-essentials/

It works really well. I'll then typically:

1. Create a one-knob Max for Live "Audio Effect" and call that in a parameter forwarder, like the Resolume M4L patches: http://resolume.com/blog/8717/max-for-l ... me-patches

or

2. Route all the Envelope Followers to something with more knobs, like an empty Audio Effect Rack, and then put something like the Resolume Parameter Forwarder right after it to send OSC.

or

3. Create some two-knob (or more, but in pairs) Max For Live "MIDI effects," with the knobs chained 1-2. Envelope Follower will map directly to the Knob 1, which will feed the Knob 2. Knob 2 will be mapped to MIDI, and the overall MIDI track it's on will be set to send MIDI out to a channel that Resolume can hear. Knob 2 is then sending MIDI out to Resolume.

Daisuk
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Daisuk »

Hey! Thanks a lot for the initial post and the follow up, Willcopps! But how exactly should you map the envelope out from the envelope follower to the macro and then to the Resolume Parameter forwarder? If I map the "gain" parameter, it will just stay static and not really send any modulation. What paramter should you map to the macro to get the envelope follower to Resolume?

Edit - silly me, just had to press the big fucking button named "MAP" on the envelope follower, haha. :lol:

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Ha glad it worked!! Sometimes that button is flaky or gets stuck too, and you need to delete and reload the plugin to remap it.

Daisuk

Post by Daisuk »

I can't seem to apply OSC modulation to just a single layer, it seems to apply to every layer, for some reason. Oh, well, time to read up on OSC, I guess.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Are you in deck or layer focus?

Also you might want to look into OSCulator to convert your track volumes' OSC data into other OSC parameters.

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Daisuk you can control just about anything in Resolume with OSC! I've definitely gotten this to work--are you looking in the right place? If I remember right, I think even the default parameters in the Resolume parameter forwarder are mapped to the layers. Like:

/layer1/video/opacity/values

Daisuk

Post by Daisuk »

willcopps wrote:Daisuk you can control just about anything in Resolume with OSC! I've definitely gotten this to work--are you looking in the right place? If I remember right, I think even the default parameters in the Resolume parameter forwarder are mapped to the layers. Like:

/layer1/video/opacity/values
Hey! Thanks for your kind reply to this. You as well, Oaktown! I really appreciate it. :)

Haven't had the time to sit down with Resolume for a while.

It seems my problem is with the OSC mapping. Whenver I enter that, the map focus is on Layer 3, and whatever I do, I can't seem to map to a parameter on layer 1 or 2, whenever I move the mouse to one of those, the green overlay for mapping is gone. In deck mode I can access the basic parameters of the layers, but not the effects (which is what I want to modulate).

Probably just a super noob here, but can't seem to find anything useful about OSC mapping in the Resolume manual.

Edit - hang on! If I use "deck" and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select layer, it seems to work. :)

Edit 2 - nah, not working again. It just stopped working for whatever reason. And now, when I highlight layer 1 and point to a parameter there, the OSC address in the mapping will say "layer3", for whatever reason. But just manually adjusting this in the parameter forwarder in Ableton Live doesn't have any effect.
Last edited by Daisuk on Tue May 16, 2017 20:01, edited 1 time in total.