Text Messaging in Resolume Avenue?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dBom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Text Messaging in Resolume Avenue?

Post by dBom »

Anyone had any luck with the RSS feed AS3 Flash using it for a Twitter feed or SMS aggregator?
I'd like to use an SMS aggregator where people could text to the screen live.
Or twittering keywords
Anybody tried this?
Last edited by dBom on Fri Jan 08, 2010 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

pleasuretek

Re: Text-to-Screen with an RSS Feed?

Post by pleasuretek »

use vvvv. get video from vvvv by hiding window frame (ctrl+8) and using VHSrcCap (a free dxfilter that shows up as a source). It might take some time for you to find the right settings (like scaling video to output, not capturing overlaying windows...) This settup is changing my world..
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

dBom

Re: Text Messaging in Resolume Avenue?

Post by dBom »

When I say "Text" I'm referring to text messaging. Like text messaging from cell phones to the screen.
I don't see this on vvvv and I'm not interested in writing code other than html/xml/css or a setting up an rss feed if I have to.
That seems to be the only way for Resolume Avenue to get a feed is for the content to be available via xml on a server. But I'm not familiar with SMS or twitter enough to know how to collate the term data into a feed.
It seems the only people doing this are making a bundle on their proprietary software, but I don't want to disturb my set with mixing in some static txt-2-scrn program.
This seems doable, or why would Resolume make a feed aggregator in flash available?
Am I missing something?

dBom

Post by dBom »

There seems to be lots of killer applications for this.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey dBom

This is indeed totally doable. It's just that like you mention, formatting the text data into an XML/RSS feed is a bit of a trick, and the people that know how to do it, are usually well aware of their market value. I'm sure you'll be able to find willing programmers out there though.

Good luck!

Joris

DonMoir
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by DonMoir »

There are reasons you might want to use a separate application for this. For one, all cell phone numbers that are received, are logged and it gives you an opportunity to return text messages to those numbers. You could use this to provide advertising for the club or perhaps information on your next gig. This is automated by our software. In addition we also allow voting, scrolling text, and other things.

We also provide an internet link for all the above. At some point in the future we would like to offer this as a service. You can check out some of the features at this live demonstration where you can send text messages and vote. Check it out here:

http://www.pangolinsms.com/index3.htm

If you want to keep things really simple and don't care about the above, you can use an RSS feed such as a twitter account as demonstrated by the rss.swf sample provided by Resolume. Note that rss.swf is more of a sample than anything else. In reality you are going to need to poll the RSS address to get the most recent post. This will require some changes. Also if you want a different display than rss.swf provides, then of course that needs to be handled. You might want smiley faces etc.

For more information on our products, you can go here:

http://www.pangolinsms.com/

We are working on an interface for Resolume at present.

Don

dBom

Post by dBom »

As a performer, I wouldn't want to be upstaged by the text messaging. So I have a bias toward software which monopolizes my screen presence.
Possibly putting the text into the lower or upper 3rd is what I had in mind. Resolume Avenue offers a lot of design options. Even for a projector mapping installation I would want the text to appear in a specific area. Like across a beam. or using a Dual or Triple Head-To-Go putting the texting completely on a separate screen or projector.
Sometimes I do music video sets and would like people to request songs.
In the US, I find that people don't really look at the screens all that much. VJs are often akin to a lighting guy, so it's difficult to sell myself as an artist and get promoters to pay the added expense of video. Venues & Promoters want audience interaction that the text-2-screen software provides.
I'm looking for a happy medium where I can program the interactivity into my set, controlled all from Resolume Avenue, and I don't need an additional person to operate and manage it.
Thanks for the comments.
I look forward to sharing further. If there is any willing programmers out there, jump in.
Also, DonMoir, I'd be willing to consult with you on your Resolume interface.

- dBom

DonMoir
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by DonMoir »

dborn, you make some good points. Yes it about your performance and how well you indulge the audience.

We would like feedback and appreciate your offer. We currently have one VJ working with us but more input would be good.

Another product line of ours is laser light shows. This can be used outside or inside of a club, but of course requires more expense and expertise. But if you want to completely involve the audience this is probably the best way to do it. The entire club can be swept with low intensity laser light. This is called audience scanning. You reallly have to experience this first hand but here is a video demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKCHdQjQ ... re=related

We also output text messaging to laser. You want it on a side of mountain, you got it !

For info on our laser products:

http://www.pangolin.com/