Interface Lag and Slowdown w/ Full Screen

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Interface Lag and Slowdown

Post by gradek »

VJsynC ,

What kind of HD do you have in your laptop? are you using an external drive for your clips? Do you use an SSD of any kind?

Also what OS version are you using? 10.5 or 10.6?
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

gradek wrote:VJsynC ,

What kind of HD do you have in your laptop? are you using an external drive for your clips? Do you use an SSD of any kind?

Also what OS version are you using? 10.5 or 10.6?
Sorry Mate, here it is:

Processor: 2.66 Core 2 Duo
Mem: 4GB DDR3
only 1 HD: 350 GB 7500 rpm (and yes, the source videos are in this hd and the hd when i bought this mac i paid extra for the 7500)
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT + 9400M

Using VGA MDP to an Edirol V8

oh and in the os preferences I also have under system preferences in the energy saving the Graphics Card set to Best Performance when i'm on battery or plugged in

gradek

Post by gradek »

Thanks for the info.

Using an external HD would be ideal for the clips. You might see an improvement in deck switching if you have a fast external. But if you are experiencing lag of the interface that seems to be another issues. I'm really not sure anymore. I'm wondering if its OS X 10.6 or maybe Quicktime X or something. Your Hardware specs are much better then mine, and that makes me worried.

Do you also have lag issues with turning fx knobs or sliders like in my video?

i just realized my SSD internal was performing slow, due to TRIM and space issues. so I reformatted, have not tested resolume since then.
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

what kind of External HD are you talking about? mine is a 7500 rpm i mean isn´t the usb connection worst?

gradek

Post by gradek »

I assumed you had an internal HD only, since you said you paid extra for it with the laptop. Are you running clip off an external drive or the laptop internal 7500 drive?

Yes USB harddrives are not good for VJing. Firewire 400 is better. Firewire 800, eSATA are the best. of course you won't see the benefits of firewire 800 or eSATA unless you have a RAID or external SSD or 1000rpm drive. Its just better to have all clips running on a different drive then your OS. External drives are the best solution for that.

although interface lag, is a different issue. is your only problem switching decks? this is a known slow point for resolume or do you really have a laggy interface that does not react when you click on knobs and buttons?

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Sorry mate, I indeed have only one hd and the loops are there, i was only mentioning the hd 7500 rpm couse in res2 in windows i had a 5400 hd rpm in the same drive and the clips loading were perfectly smooth and flawless I believed that in this new res and with a top of the range mac i would't also be needing an external HD.

Back to the main point yes and yes.
yes when i switch to second screen the interface lags between their switching and the knobs responds with lag.
I mean, is not so bad has i see in your video bur be sure that lags, even the video doesn't run smoothy as it should is really really annoying,
have you seen your energy definitions under system preferences and set the graphics card to best performance? or is it in "energy saving" ? if it is, change it to best performance and you will see a much much better improvement.

by the way are you sure that with an ssd external drive and connected trough firewire the deck loading will improve? like a blink of an eye? even a deck with 240 vids?

funkyant
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by funkyant »

by the way are you sure that with an ssd external drive and connected trough firewire the deck loading will improve? like a blink of an eye? even a deck with 240 vids?
I am only testing the Demo at this point, but I have a RAID 0 SSD setup which benches at 480mb/s throughput, for clips only (ALL rendered DXVs at output resolution), and I definitely still experience laggy deck loading. Sometimes the interface will even hang for a second half way through a deck load. During this time, all MIDI controls still respond though. The program has also crashed twice at this hang stage on me though, which are the only 2 crashs I've experienced.

I wish the program could somehow buffer the decks into RAM :(

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

I am only testing the Demo at this point, but I have a RAID 0 SSD setup which benches at 480mb/s throughput, for clips only (ALL rendered DXVs at output resolution), and I definitely still experience laggy deck loading. Sometimes the interface will even hang for a second half way through a deck load.
So, we definitely have a problem here, gradek even with ssd do you fell the same? do you feel that laggy decks loading? cous i do!!! but hey i don't have yet an ssd drive and if i will, i'm afraid of this same thing.

gradek

Post by gradek »

MY SSD is only for the OS and not for VJ clips. I have an external raid via eSATA for that. I don't have big decks, so loading does have a bit of lag, but not nearly as annoying and distracting as the general lag of the interface, ie moving knobs and sliders without delayed effect or worse no effect for several seconds.

I'd like to keep this thread about general interface lag, not deck loading issues there are several thread about that here:

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... ck+loading

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... ck+loading

The resolume team claims that deck loading has been improved with version 3.1.3:
http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6190

sleepytom

Re: Interface Lag and Slowdown w/ Full Screen

Post by sleepytom »

I've been running 3.2.0 on a fresh snow leopard install (final old style mbp 2.6ghz 4gb 500gig 7200 internal drive) i've not experienced any major interface slowness other than startup / shutdown which is a bit slow sometimes.

I'm not aware of a single person who has done a successful leopard-> snow leopard upgrade, it always breaks media applications.

Try and keep plenty of free space on your OS partition and run as few background apps as possible.