live vs. avenue strangeness

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
popesz
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: live vs. avenue strangeness

Post by popesz »

I want to send midi signal (cc) from my knob controller -> through ableton (controling some parameter) -> to another computer, to (VJ) software (controlling another parameter).
I'm using Ethernet, but doesn't really matter.
The thing is, that when I'm moving the knob on my controller, live responds normally and smooth, but software on the other computer react really slow and with big steps, and delay.
What is interesting, that when a move controlled parameter in live, with my mouse, other computer react perfectly good, with almost no delay...
U all can check how it works, because U can actually see it, in midi signal indicator lights.so when u map your controller to some parameter, and set, in preferences, that midi suppose to go somewhere out (midi out remote), U can see, that the green light doesn't flash the some time, as the red light.
U can see although, that red light ( midi output ) react perfectly well, when u move selected parameter with mouse.
I don't know what is going on, please help!!!

hughfrancis89

Post by hughfrancis89 »

I'm gonna bump this!

Having the exact same problems as the OP and the post above this one.

When I drag a slider in Ableton WITH THE MOUSE the corresponding slider in Resolume works perfectly.

When I move a slide in Ableton WITH MY MPK49 MIDI CONTROLLER the corresponding slider in Resolume lags behind by a huge amount - way too much to use the program Live.

Has anyone found a workaround?? I really need this to work!

I'm running Live 8 and Resolume 3.0.0

Thanks,
Hugh

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

pantov wrote:
And even another option (using MIDI Yoke) is to send MIDI from the controller to a virtual port, and then have both Resolume and Live take input from the same virtual port, like this:

Controller -> virtual MIDI port #1 -> Live
-> Resolume

hmm, midiyoke is just a driver, isnt it? hasnt got a config menu somewhere... i dont realy know how to patch midi signals... would be nice to have a reason-like UI for that :-)
This is done via Midi-OX "options>MIDI devices>…". Select/Multiselect which ever MIDI-In/Out you want to use. If you have selected several inputs and! outputs then expand the device under "Port Mapping" and delete the port(s) you don't want to use for the specific MIDI-Out by right-clicking on them and clicking "Delete Out Port".

For your setup you would select the BCR under "MIDI Inputs" and "Out to MIDI Yoke: 1" under "MIDI Outputs". Then just assign MIDIYoke1 in both Live and Resolume (if your are running both apps on the same computer). If you want to use MIDI over cable then I guess you would have to select your soundcard's MIDI-out under "MIDI Outputs" as well and assign it in Resolume.

In the picture above let's assume MIDIYoke3 is the soundcard's MIDI-out. You would then set Ableton Live to recieve MIDI on Yoke3 and Resolume on Yoke4 (aka the soundcard'S MIDI-out). Another idea would be to route Yoke3 through LAN. That way you only need one Output selected.

I hope it helps.

By the way: my BCR knobs do work with Live2Resolume but the setup is "localhost". I think what is interesting is that it works if you control the knobs via mouse. Sounds as if the error is caused by the setup not the apps as gpvillamil mentioned.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

hughfrancis89 wrote:I'm gonna bump this!

Having the exact same problems as the OP and the post above this one.

When I drag a slider in Ableton WITH THE MOUSE the corresponding slider in Resolume works perfectly.

When I move a slide in Ableton WITH MY MPK49 MIDI CONTROLLER the corresponding slider in Resolume lags behind by a huge amount - way too much to use the program Live.
We have come across this as well, but have no idea what's causing it. It *should* work. If you are running the apps on the same machine it seems to help if the interface of both apps is visible though.

hughfrancis89

Post by hughfrancis89 »

is this a known problem with resolume 2?

I love resolume, but without the ability to effectively map video FX and audio FX to the same knob, I doubt I can use it for my purposes.

I will attempt to downgrade to 2 if this problem doesnt occur... any advice?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

First of, let me make clear that for the majority of users, this is not a problem at all. Apparently it only happens on specific hardware and connection combinations, which is why it's so difficult to solve. So chances are it'll be fine for you.

That said, we've had no reports of any lagging parameters happening between R2 and Live.

Joris

hughfrancis89

Post by hughfrancis89 »

oh ok, I'll check to see what happens when i move my files across to my performance laptop!

pantov

Post by pantov »

Tschoepler !!

Thanx, this did the trick :D