[solved] AE CS5 - no alpha output to DXV?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
olowski
Is taking Resolume on a second date

[solved] AE CS5 - no alpha output to DXV?

Post by olowski »

hi guys,
its about cs5 problem, not about resolume itself.
does anybody tested rendering to dxv with alpha from after effects cs5?
alpha is not working for me so far :( , there is no "preserve" alpha in codec settings (like it was in cs4)

/edit/
its on win7 64 bit so maybe this is the problem. any experiences with quicktime and alpha on 64bit machine?
quicktime is 32 bit only.

/edit/ SOLVED
guess what? f*cking UAC. i just reinstalled my system before performance and i forgot to turn uac off. it looks like that user account control denies aftereffects to change "preserve alpha" option in codec settings. so turn off uac or run as administrator when you encounter similar problem.

from poland with love,
_________
olowski
kolektyw kilku.com

denkertje
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: [solved] AE CS5 - no alpha output to DXV?

Post by denkertje »

Cant get aplha to work eighter. I use vista64, after fx cs4, I run as administrator and installed dxv2. Whenever I choose preserve aplha it jumps back to ignore. Anyone an idea?

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Does it work for you in 32 bit mode?

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

i also had problems in CS4 (win7 64)....
i created render profiles with and without alpha...
but he switched it, i think always back to non-alpha....

hopefully just a little bug in the codec ;) something with the checkbox?
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

denkertje
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by denkertje »

Mmm finally works! Didnt only had 2 be loggin in as an adminstrator, also had to right click the fx icon and run the program as adminstrator. Ques I am moving to a mac... I am to stupid for windows :-/
Thanks for the help anyway

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey guys

Thanks for all the testing. Rendering to DXV with alpha in AE shouldn't require all this setting of permissions (or switching OS for that matter :D ). We'll take a look if we can make it simpler.

Joris

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

I found that DXV defaults to ignore alpha under W7 X64 - i've also found that the advanced property page didn't display in any 64 bit app (vegas and AE Cs5 specifically). I worked round the issue by installing quicktime pro and then using quictime player to export a single clip to DXV - in the settings i set the preserve alpha switch and then found that both vegas and CS5 were able to correctly render clips with alpha (though i still cannot use their control panels)

conclusion from this is that in windows quicktime retains the DXV setting between applications. Resolume could provide a simple control panel app to set the DXV alpha state - this would allow people using 64bit systems to correctly render to dxv alpha without needing to turn off UAC or to invest in quicktime pro.