Decks not being listed alphabetically, WTF?????!!!!!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Decks not being listed alphabetically, WTF?????!!!!!

Post by VJsynC »

DAS BEN wrote:hi all

organizing the decks is a really important issue.
during the years with resolume, i created over 450 decks and still so many clips are waiting.
i organized them in folders, named like electronic, disco, hiphop, monsters, sex, nature, riot, backgrounds, textanimation, town ....
if you have ever been vj on a mixed stuff party, you know, that you will never know what comes next, maybe old jungle or oldschool hiphop or what ever. the song is maybe 3 minutes long. so you need fast access to your decks. the last vj job was a support for a balkan concert, but hey they decided to put me on the rock n roll floor instead. i am doing for different musik different stuff, and there are a lot of different styles going on.
i know where my clips are stored, but i need a working deck.
so decks should be at least stored in alphabetical order and folders are great.
also should it be possibel to save a deck seperatly, not only the whole composition, because this can make a huge mess.
ok why not using the compositions as folders ?
i am already doing so, but this is just a workaround.
for me the concept of composition is, to store overall parameters for specific jobs.
the standart 4:3 screen, a 16:9 setup, a setup for a mapping job and so on.

so listen to a heavy user, still working with the old resolume. :twisted:

see you at the fusion
DAS BEN
mate, i believe you'v said it all, the decks management definitely must be improved.

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

hello again, since there is no soon answer for this, i beg for anyone who can help me to arrange the decks alphabetically, i'v tried everything, even editing the code in the svc file, it worked, but then, after I save other deck with new clips resolume keeps fu****ing up my decks arrangement if anyone could help me on these it would be a very very relief to me and many many other people here where i work, i'm just unable to use the resolume avenue THAT I'V PAID FOR until my decks are alphabetically arranged. this is a cry for help :(, don't know what to do anymore.
still using the old laptop with res2 and having to let my new shinny macbook with res3 in it at home :( and no..... i will not instal windows on my mac machine just to run res2.

BCN
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by BCN »

The deck switching issue is maddening and has driven me crazy since res 3 version 1.

I've recently tried using Res 3 again after being turned off by this issue.
I love the new fx and the program seems more stable overall.

I run visuals for my band's live show and loaded up clips and numbered my decks 1-8 associated with each song in the set. Things seemed to work great and had no problems during shows.

We just completed a new music video shot in 720p and I wanted to incorporate these clips into our set along with other new material. That's when the deck issue raised it's ugly head.

I added a new layer and new decks and 13 new 720p clips (compressed in ProRes) and now 2 of my decks have swapped places. It's critical that the decks stay organized according to our set list and when decks switch with no way of re-arranging them that's a HUGE problem.

Now Resolume takes an inordinately long time to Quit which may be a symptom of the problem.

I have deleted the 720p clips, thinking maybe it's either a memory or codec issue, but the decks still rearrange themselves.

I am trying to be logical with my process to trackdown where the problem is occuring.
I have been going back to previous saved versions which have the decks in the correct order, and saving out a new version after each small change.

I am reinstalling the program now and will keep you posted on my progress.

I have a show today and don't have time to be messing with this.

Please address this issue in the next update.

I will probably go back to VDMX if I can't figure this out.

bcn
Res 3.2 on MacBook Pro 17, 3.06GHz Intel Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2

BCN

Post by BCN »

So through trial and error it seems that my new clips are at the root of my deck switching problem.

I resaved the clips as photo-jpgs (all my other clips are pjpg) and re-imported them into an earlier version of my composition.

When I did a save-as and named a new comp, I quit the program and re-opened the file and 2 decks had swapped places - deck 5 is now in the 1st position and deck 1 is the 5th position.

My comp is at 640 x 480 but the new clips I am importing are at 1280 x 720.
I am going to try and resize the new clips and see what happens.

BCN

Post by BCN »

The good news . . .
So I was able to add the resized clips into an existing deck without any problems and without any deck switching!

The bad news . . .
It seems like if I add any new decks to my composition the decks switch.

When's the next update?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey BCN

Thanks for the extra info on the deck order bug. It had been driving us crazy for a long time as well, but it's been addressed in the coming update. Without getting too technical, it turns out the method that was used to determine deck order was being called incorrectly. We're hoping to put out the update in two weeks. Thanks for sticking with us!

Joris

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Joris mate, that are excellent news, good to ear that new version is coming out in 2 weeks, now, tell me, is the search the composition list by keypresses or similar being added? cous as mentioned before that is also a very important issue.

best regards,
sync.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey SynC

I'm sorry if this wasn't made clear, but as mentioned in one of your other threads on this topic (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6842&p=25950#p25950), unfortunately the keypress search function will not yet be a part of the 3.3 update. You were actually not the first one to request this. It is feature request #908 and has been on our list for quite some time. It is proving surprisingly difficult to implement something which may seem very simple to you ;-)

Joris

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

ok then, but can i make a suggestion? why don´t you put a search bar on the top of the decks list that would only search for deck names and like in traktor as you were typing the name it would only showing the decks containing that letters already typed, like:
search item: "club" in the search box if at the time you only typed "cl" it automatically given you all the results for decks starting with fist letters "cl"

don't know if i was clear in the example or in the suggestion, if not, please say something.