Decks not being listed alphabetically, WTF?????!!!!!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Decks not being listed alphabetically, WTF?????!!!!!

Post by VJsynC »

Hello there, i am using latest version of resolume - 3.2.0 (I was and still are a regular user of res2)

When i was creating all my decks in my composition i found that in the decks are not being arranged alphabetically ( in the "compositions" tab) and this is a big big problem for me, because i have about 100 decks and i need to identify them by name.

This is how resolume2 worked, that's perfect and fine by me.
exemple:
adeck1
adeck2
bdeck1
bdeck2
cdeck1
cdeck2

but in resolume3 e does something like this:

adeck1
cdeck1
bdeck2
cdeck2
bdeck1
adeck2
and so on....

It´s completely random it doesn't arrange them my NAME

Other thing that is happening, is the calling of the deck itself, still in the list of decks (in "compositions" tab) for instance if i want to focus a decks called "house" i'v pressed the "h" letter and automatically puts me there for me to double click to load that deck.
Now in resolume 3 i cannot do that... it simple doesn't work, it doesn't go anywhere

I am using resolume3 in a mac,
now, these 2 situations, am i doing something wrong? is this fixable? any help please?
if i cant have this working i simply can't use resolume3 i mean, this is a big big problem for many many people who have their video library arranged by name AND REALLY REALLY NEED IT THAT WAY.

much appreciated,
VJ Sync

ps: sorry for the bad english

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Decks not being listed alphabetically, WTF?????!!!!!

Post by Joris »

Hey VJSync

Resolume 3 is a different program than Resolume 2. Instead of building on the old version, it was completely rewritten from the ground up. A lot of features were added, some were dropped. For some users like yourself this means that things that you were used to in R2, will behave differently in R3.
It´s completely random it doesn't arrange them my NAME
Within a single composition, decks are stored in the order in which they are created.
i'v pressed the "h" letter and automatically puts me there for me to double click to load that deck.
Now in resolume 3 i cannot do that... it simple doesn't work, it doesn't go anywhere
This is one of those features that was dropped. We feel that a composition and deck based approach is more convenient and intuitive for the majority of users. If you feel this is not the case for you, and enough people agree with you, of course we can look into different ways of approaching file handling.

I hope that answers your questions, and takes away some of the frustration you may be feeling. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Joris

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Hi Joris, and thanks for the reply
Within a single composition, decks are stored in the order in which they are created.

Sorry mate, they just aren´t, and i can said that 100% sure couse I'll give you an example, i'v created 31 decks under just one composition the first deck created appears in the middle in the decks list the 2nd deck appear in the very end of them all and the last deck created appears in second, and if the decks were stored by creation order i wouldn't have this problem in the first place couse in my own folder organization each decks corresponds to a folder and the view of this folders in my operating system are organized by name, I was creating the decks according to the list in my operating system, meaning from A to Z (A first and Z last).
This is one of those features that was dropped. We feel that a composition and deck based approach is more convenient and intuitive for the majority of users. If you feel this is not the case for you, and enough people agree with you, of course we can look into different ways of approaching file handling
Joris, think with me.
if you have 60 folders (like me) in a total of 55GB and each folder has a ton of videos you will need a very very fast way to get them, right?
well if you have to scroll to the specific folder you will loose a lot of time doing that, adding that to the eternity that resolume takes to load that deck(but this is being solved in other treat) you lose about 30 to 40 seconds just to finally lunch the loop you want. and that is simply impossible to handle, in my kind of work/vj style this is simply intolerable, i am very convicted that many many more people have even more than 60 folders or even more than 100 decks, now adding that to the fact that decks aren´t stored alphabetically or by creation order the folder/deck navigation policy in resolume is very very week and urgently needs to be improved.

Regards,
Sync. (BBC resident)

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

VJsynC wrote: Joris, think with me.
if you have 60 folders (like me) in a total of 55GB and each folder has a ton of videos you will need a very very fast way to get them, right?
well if you have to scroll to the specific folder you will loose a lot of time doing that, adding that to the eternity that resolume takes to load that deck(but this is being solved in other treat) you lose about 30 to 40 seconds just to finally lunch the loop you want. and that is simply impossible to handle, in my kind of work/vj style this is simply intolerable, i am very convicted that many many more people have even more than 60 folders or even more than 100 decks, now adding that to the fact that decks aren´t stored alphabetically or by creation order the folder/deck navigation policy in resolume is very very week and urgently needs to be improved.

Regards,
Sync. (BBC resident)
that more a question of practice and knowing your loop library. it almost never takes me that long to find a specific loop if i know what im after. im often dropping in new loops every 4 bars or so, often whilst using 2 computers at the same time ( one hand on each )

drag the scroll bar to where you want...sorted

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

No it isn't, its a question of navigating trough them and retrieving information as fast as you can, as you, me or another guy where used to in res2.

In know my library very well and i'm not asking for little thumbs or bigger names. But there are those little things that could and should be incorporated into res software that makes all the difference for those who have big big library (or decks) and makes the info retrieval much faster, like in res2.

VJair

Post by VJair »

i never used it in reolume 2, i find it prety much as quick to use the scroll bar as files are listed alphabeticly. logicly named files within well ordered folders is key

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Agreed. We take file management very seriously, since that is something that every experienced VJ with a lot of content will struggle with at one point or another. I think that the issue here may be, is that you're expecting R3 to do something which R2 did differently. In R3, when you use the composition browser to access your content, basically you are loading them from disk on the spot, similar to a File -> Import function. This is something which takes time on any system or software. Instead, we provide a composition and decks system, where you can create decks already loaded in to the composition before hand, allowing you fast access during performance.

Regarding the problem with the decks rearranging themselves, we've had a few reports of this happening. This shouldn't be the case, and we're looking into it. You can help us by using the Feedback option in the preferences to send us your logfile, so that we have your particular information on file.

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

HI goto10.

In res2 i'v also had decks and loaded them very quickly indeed, even with a less powerful machine that i have now. what I were suggesting is that in res3 the decks management could be improved for those ho was lots and lots of decks.

All that i'm saying (begging actually) is that in this res3 the decks could and should be orderer (in deck list) alphabetically or by creation order (as i mentioned early the aren't) (or even get the change to the user choosing witch criteria we wants), and also the ability to quickly find them by means of pressing the fist letter (in the list) and the software automatically focus the deck starting by that letter, this surely would avoid people like me having to scroll between 100 or more decks to find a specific deck and then(after losing 1000 year just to find it) loading that decks and finally lunch the video located in that deck.

Another new and additional thing, why don't you put in preferences the option to choose between loading all the deck during resolume startup or not load any decks at all, and let the user chose naturally as long as we here using the software the manual loading of decks?
because, again, with 100 or more decks created you can imagine the time (and also resources) that in a computer the resolume takes just to be ready for vjing after finally load up and opening that half of a ton just in decks.

For real guys, this are not suggestions that will only pleased me, this are suggestions and NEEDS that many many other people here that i know has (myself included), and many others will have as long as their video library will grow up in size and quantity just imagine all that vimeo websites or vjvault sites offering tons of new contents every day, I strongly believe that in a not so far future much more people will complain about this.

I teach in a VJ academy and this is something that my students are always complaining about i honestly don't know what to say them anymore, some of my VJ colleagues they even back to the old resolume couse they said that resolume 3 is not maturely enough in this matter and in other matters like the ages that takes the decks to load, about the decks loading time, is being discussed in another threat.

Much regards,
Sync.

VJair

Post by VJair »

ways to decrease the load time / work around:

use an ssd drive
use more than one source
dont try and load so many files at a time

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

VJair wrote:ways to decrease the load time / work around:

use an ssd drive
Fisrt of all:
Let-me just said to yall that i will try with an ssd drive.

Second of all:
I did'nt wanted to had to said this but you give me NO CHOICE.
IT IS RIDICULOUS that i get such answers like this. as i recall i'v paid 300 euros for this piece of software that is giving me more troubles than anything else till today.
I should n had to PAID extra money for an EXTRA HD, let me just ask you all a question:
what if SSD technology did'n existed?
what if HDD at 10.000 did'n existed?
what would be than the answer then? sorry mate, sh*** happens, would this be the kind of answer?

seriously, let me just past here what i took from resolume website:

Minimum system requirements
PC: ATI Radeon 9600 or later. NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or later. 1GB RAM.
Mac: Intel processor. Quartz Extreme graphics card (Resolume Avenue is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors). 1GB RAM

Does it said anywhere here that i need an SSD drive? NO!!!

Third:
I bought a GREAT machine to run this I'v paid over than 2500euros to have a top of the range mac just to run resolume, i'v paid 300 euros for the new version isn't that enough? IT IS SIMPLY NOT FAIR No!!! it's seems that i had to get an SSD drive well in that case why don't you put in the official info that specification?????

I mean, for crying out loud what will i need in the future for the resolume 4 to run???? a silicon graphics media server???? a bundle of 10 pcs with at least 10 GPU each one in parallel processing? a billion SSD drives just to load my content?
honestly I know that an ssd drive is ok, is fast, is powerful etc etc etc, but the choice OF BUYING ONE shoulder me mine, not like (it's becoming clear to me now) an obligation, just for the software to be responsive like it should'v been in the first place WITHOUT an ssd drive.

I mean, like many people here i have the pre requirements.
I have a top of the range MAC 2010, i'v paid extra money for an HD of 7500rpm's i have internal HD space to practically store the whole world in there, i have 2 graphic cards running, i'v spend 3 months converting all my videos to DXV, i even make a clean OS install, now what? are you telling me that i need an ssd drive? for what? someone else here in this forum has an ssd drive and you know what he said? that even with an ssd drive he is still struggling with decks loading and laggy interface, did you know that?
do you want more? i can give you more, right here in my own town, just in my work place a colleague of mine has exactly the same problem, he has an SSD intel x25 connected trough firewire and still the deck loading is a lil bit faster but still very slow to the needs of deck loading in a glips of an eye.

and then there is the question, ok, he can put an internal ssd drive for that extra speed that esata gives, but what about the 500GB disk-space? that he currently has? ho bla bla bla he can still use it as an external drive and so on, but i raise the question: are you all familiar with the concept of "laptop computer" right? you know.. like a machine that is... portable!!! not to mention the costs of an ssd drive etc etc etc.

There are others softwares like Modul8 for example, that runs perfectly fine on a mac, that loads library perfectly fine on mac, that even runs all kinds of mov codecs without any problems on a mac, why in this resolume3 everything must be so complicated, so full of restrains so full of additional hardware???????? i mean, not even in a great pc like mine it's doing his job correctly.
VJair wrote: don't try and load so many files at a time
VJair hello? why do you think that I suggested precisely to at least under preferences had the option to enable or disable the deck loading during startup?

and why do you think that for me like many other people is so important to have the deck list arranged alphabetically? that is precisely to split the content over more and more decks, but if they aren't organized by some order or coherent criteria i will loose ages just to find what I want, it is simply not possible.

you see, this is a perfect example of the importance to res3 had a better "navigation"/"Management" policy under decks couse i believe that this 3 suggestions that i'v made were a better improvement because not so many decks needed to be "loaded" probably (and here i'm talking without know cause) the switching of decks would be faster and the laggy interface could'ed be also faster because resolume didn't had all the decks loaded giving free space for the system to respond much faster to other requests.

Really can someone from resolume headquarters like edwin or bart give their thoughts about this?

Take care,
Sync