transition and sequence type playlist

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
clicsis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

transition and sequence type playlist

Post by clicsis »

A) How to put a dissolve or other transition type between the exchanges of videos, so softens the transition.
B) How to select in advance the order of the films for which the sequence resolume give to them, example would be selected resolume 3 videos and the spend in order to end up going to one another and so forth.

Now, thank you all.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: transition and sequence type playlist

Post by Joris »

A) There are a few ways to do this, but the simplest is probably to trigger one clip in layer one, and another clip in layer two. Then slowly fade the opacity of layer two up and down to transition from one clip to another.

B) I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'the sequence resolume give to them'. You can change the order in which clips are displayed in the deck by dragging them by the yellow name handle.

I hope that answers your questions.

Joris

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

or put another way..

you cannot currently do automatic crossfades between clips, nor can you construct playlists of clips in resolume.

I hope both these features will become available in a future update.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Tom

Automatic crossfading to a clip (a la NUVJ controller) has recently been suggested, and we're looking into it.

How would you like to see clip sequencing implemented? A regular playlist that starts the next clip when the previous one is done, or more of a sequencer where each clip plays a certain time before skipping to the next one?

Joris

Post by Joris »

For now, you could use the following workaround to fade clips in and out: it's a bit klunky (like all workarounds) but it works:

1. Set your clips to normal trigger mode
2. Apply two brightness and contrast filters on the clip
3. Limit the range of the brightness property of both filters to 0 to 0.5
4. Set the animation for both the brightness properties to timeline
5. Set both the timelines to play once
6. Turn on key mapping, and assign the same key to your clip, the play
forward button of the first brightness property, the play backward
button of the second brightness property, and the bypass button of the
second filter. these last two should be in piano mode

Now when you trigger the clip with the key, it should fade in, and
when you release it will fade out. You can control the time of the
fades with the speed slider of the brightness properties.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

:) except of course that fades up / down from BLACK rather than fading the alpha in/out !

I think that sequencing is best done via "end actions" ala ableton live. I have made a FF plugin that does this via OSC but it is kind of clunky (it would be far neater if done natively in resolume) it would be nice if you could have the option of crossfading to the next clip (a single global crossfade duration setting would probably be adequate) this would have to work between clips in the same layer for it to have any point.

I don't see the point in a more traditional step sequencer internally in resolume as you can already do this easily using an external midi sequencing app, the point for me is to be able to build chains (playlists) of clips. The end action system in Live is almost perfect as it allows for randomness as well as strictly ordered playlists and clips can be made to loop X number of times before the end action is triggered.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

yeah end actions / follow on actions are fantastic, would love to see something along those lines in avenue.

Joris

Post by Joris »

yeah end actions / follow on actions are fantastic, would love to see something along those lines in avenue.
I've put in a feature request for this.
:) except of course that fades up / down from BLACK rather than fading the alpha in/out !
Yup, I guess it only works in add blend modes. It's too much of klunky workaround anyway to be really useful for many videoclips at the same time ;)

djdiego71

Post by djdiego71 »

You can sequence clips with this Maxpatch:
http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5239

funkyant
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by funkyant »

goto10 wrote:Hey Tom

Automatic crossfading to a clip (a la NUVJ controller) has recently been suggested, and we're looking into it.

How would you like to see clip sequencing implemented? A regular playlist that starts the next clip when the previous one is done, or more of a sequencer where each clip plays a certain time before skipping to the next one?
A simple but interesting way would be to have a feature that stepped through clips from left to right across the columns. Either playing between clip start end points, or with BPM sync it could be kind of like a video drum machine!