Flash vs HTML5

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Flash vs HTML5

Post by mfo »

Absolutely agree with ridiculoid.

VJsynC, what you are talking about is Javascript and a very special, web-centered Javascript runtime (webkit) with webGL support! How can that be implemented into Resolume? (If it develops further, it maybe will - and i'm looking forward to - but in todays form its just another web technology)
And more important: How do you want to produce content for this? Hard-code everything? ...

So instead of following Apples buzzwords like a bainless zombie I prefer to think + decide for myself. I want the choice if I use Flash or Java (!!) or some Javascript port. (Thats something completely ignored by the Steve Jobs addicts - its not just Flash, its also Java that is not implemented on IPhone/IPad. No non-apple solutions allowed...)

Btw. I don't want to defend Adobe here - I think they really did a bad job about Flash in the last years.

VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by VJsynC »

Boys, that were JUST EXAMPLES, what i'm about here is the user of html to SUBSTITUTE the actual use of flash cou-se i believe that resolume software when calls for the adobe's flash plugin to render flash content it takes many recourses to the machine, what i ONLY suggested is in a near future the use of html5 to RENDER FLASH CONTENT without resolume calling each and every time a flash plug in that eats like a big boy the recourses of a system, that's all.
and yet again, you guys still support your theory talking about web based environments, but i'v already explain why the examples that i'm giving are using the web platform but i can said it again: Because that's the 1st immediate and obvious use of html5, that doesn't mean that it can't be used into software applications.

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

HTML5 is irrelevant - it provides no direct way of rendering a swf.

I'd rather resolume stick with the adobe flash player. it works well enough for people who want to use flash. Developing a custom swf player independently of adobe is a huge amount of work and totally pointless given that the current solution works ok.

Support for other vector animation formats could be good if these things become popular. i think we are talking about features for resolume 8 here though.

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

VJsynC, for dhtml/html5 rendering you would also need some kind of a plugin - a render machine. That could be a webkit-port. Anyway that would also produce some heavy cpu load.
But yes, its true, Flashplayer consumes bit more cpu-power than a similar html5 app (on the mac! on pc-side is not much of a difference).

But before thinking about quite new technologies - how about one that offers all what can be done with dhmtl5 + that has an already huge open source scene? How about Processing(/Java)?? But I know, there is no easy way to integrate that into Resolume neither... http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6702