multi screen Avenue setup

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gdlt
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

multi screen Avenue setup

Post by gdlt »

I'm planning a multi screen setup (3 wide 1 high 3x 800x600) ad run into some problems/bugs.
But overall i'm very happy that it is easier to setup than i thought.

This is what i've done so far:

composition: 2400x600

advanced output (only tested with no external display connected):
set all screen sizes to w800 and h600 (bug: it keeps snapping to 801)
X positions: screen 1 X=0 screen 2 X=800 screen 3 x=1600 (bug: it keeps snapping to 801 or 1599)

Layer setup:
layer 1 fixed with/height 2400x600
layer 2,3&4 fixed with/height 800x600 X positions -800, 0 and 800
small bug: When previewing a clip that is not launched before it is shown in the wrong position and size in the preview monitor. Only after it is launched it's on the right size & position

With this setup i now have the possibility to:
-play 3 different clips on 3 displays
-play 1 clip in display 1,2 or 3
-play 1 clip stretched over 3 displays
But i can not play 1 clip on all the 3 displays (clone mode). How can i achieve this? i thought it would be possible with the "tile" or "video wall effect" applied to layer 1 but it's not. So i think i'm looking for a tile effect where you can set the number of tiles in width and height, did i missed it?

Also is this the way i should set it up or is there a better way, any tips or ideas?

ridiculoid
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: multi screen Avenue setup

Post by ridiculoid »

I've been using this set up recently as well. The workaround I've used is:

* keep one column free of clips
* drag a clip into one of the layers on that column
* copy the clip to the other layers in that column
* send the clip to all outputs by clicking the column name

So, you need to repeat this each time you want to trigger a single clip on all outputs... guess it will depend on how you work as to whether this is a solution for you.

I've noticed the bugs you mention as well, though I've found the composition positions usually stay set after opening and resetting the values a few times.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

i also have a workaround, with this you can also mirror it
use a extra layer for such clips and scale it up to composition size (2400x600)
then you can keystone or "iterate" the video to 1 screen and then iterate them (iterate effect, 3 iterations or so and and the right parameters), you can also mirror clips with the flip effect.... you get this with the effect opacity add@50%
better than using 3 layers imho...
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

gdlt

Post by gdlt »

Thanks for the replys:

@HerrNieda
Good workaround that will work. Never thought of that, but a lot of work each time.
I could make a deck where all clips are 3x times.
And you're right about the bug today the bug wasn't there all the time.

@Ridiculoid
Took me a few hours to figure out the parameters but in the end it did work (see screen shot).
I added 1 keystone effect and one iterate effect.
There is one problem i had: The source video resolution/aspect ratio. When these change you have to adjust the keystone parameters again.
So i have to make sure that i render all videos to 800x600 (in this case).

So i'm still hoping for a effect that does this better/easier.
Attachments
Screen shot.png
Screen shot.png (672.51 KiB) Viewed 19933 times

1000errors
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by 1000errors »

I have to ask, what is your hardware you are using to run this multiscreen setup. more specfically graphics card and hard drive setup, thanks :)

gdlt

Post by gdlt »

Not sure yet, It's for a new project that is stil in the preliminary stage.
It can be a PC or a Mac with or without triplehead2go. All video's will be rendered with the DXV codec and if necessary a ssd.

Myself i VJ on a Macbook pro core2duo 2.8 GHz with Apple stock ssd TS128A and the the Nvidea 9400/9600 combo.

ridiculoid

Post by ridiculoid »

I currently use a couple of 1gb Radeon 5750 cards in a PC, this allows for up to 3 outputs on each card (2 x VGA and 1 x either HDMI or DisplayPort). I haven't gone above 3 outs yet... with 3 outs at 800 x 600 it's pretty smooth with 10 layers in a 2400 x 600 comp (3 layers for each out, and 1 that stretches across all 3 outs). Those cards are far from the fastest around, I just found them to be the best value for money at the time... there didn't seem much point in stepping up to the next level which were twice as much for negligible results. Hard drives are just typical 7200rpm, raided but nothing special.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

ridiculoid wrote:3 outputs on each card (2 x VGA and 1 x either HDMI or DisplayPort)
:geek: I have a 5770 and the new Radeon cards support 2xDVI not VGA (of course you can connect an adapter). Furthermore they only support 3 displays if the DisplayPort is used. So you could connect either 1xDVI 1xHDMI 1xDP or 2xDVI 1xDP. 2xDVI 1xHDMI won't work!
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

ridiculoid

Post by ridiculoid »

Yes, you're right about everything! DVI not VGA, I always think 'VGA' as I use a converter on the cards and the projector input is D-sub. I forgot about those configuration limits as I've only been using the 4 DVI outs so far. Thanks for the accuracy!

1000errors
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by 1000errors »

gdlt wrote:Not sure yet, It's for a new project that is stil in the preliminary stage.
It can be a PC or a Mac with or without triplehead2go. All video's will be rendered with the DXV codec and if necessary a ssd.

Myself i VJ on a Macbook pro core2duo 2.8 GHz with Apple stock ssd TS128A and the the Nvidea 9400/9600 combo.
Hi, I saw you live in holland, let me know when you have a show sometime as I also live in holland though I havent really had much chance to see some interesting multiscreen vjing yet as I havent lived here that long. thanks olly
1000errors@gmail.com is my email