Hue Rotate & Trails = poor quality?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
the_psychologist
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Hue Rotate & Trails = poor quality?

Post by the_psychologist »

Hi

When I first started VJing, I literally used VLC to play back clips like I was watching a TV. One thing I learned is that a few basic effects can go a long way if they're high quality. I would use motion blur to get that smooth, abstract imagery and Image Adjust-->Hue to shift colors to match the rest of the lighting at the venue.

Both these effects seem a lot coarser in Resolume 3 :-[

Hue Rotate seems to have visible blocks when you hit certain ranges and overall looks kind of desaturated and weak.

Trails looks way less silky than even VLC's motion blur feature. You can almost see the individual steps instead of one smooth blur.

Is there any way to refine these effects in the future? If VLC can do it, Resolume must be able to as well!

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Hue Rotate & Trails = poor quality?

Post by Joris »

Hey Psychologist

Thanks for your opinion and feedback on the quality of Hue Rotate and Trails. We'll take em into account, and see what we can improve. In all fairness though, I think you may be expecting Trails to do something which it's not meant to do. Trails simply buffers the previous frames, and overlays them on the current image with a certain opacity and blend mode. There is no blurring going on. Whereas a full fledged motion blur would involve interpolation between frames and blurring this, which is quite resource intensive.

Nevertheless, request tickets are made!

Joris

funkyant
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Hue Rotate & Trails = poor quality?

Post by funkyant »

Please don't change the Hue plugin. I love when it gets glitchy and use it often :)