output issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

output issues

Post by massta »

Can't get this to work:

I'm using a 17" lcd (1280x1024) as the software controller and trying to output to a 27" (2560x1440) monitor.
My composition is 1920x480.

I've read some posts and the 3D nVidia setting didn't help.
The only thing I'm able to do is use the Windowed mode.

Am I supposed to use this mode with the Matrox TripleHead device.
What other settings should the GPU have?
Horizontal Span or Clone?
Am I running into problems because my output monitor is 16x9? (video is 12x3)
or because the screen resolution is larger than the 1920x480? (won't let me select 1920x480 under windows settings)

Thanks
~Shawn

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: output issues

Post by Joris »

Can you describe your problem a bit more in detail? Do you have no output at all, or just not the correct aspect ratio?

Joris

massta

Post by massta »

What I'm getting is 2560x1024 across two screens. One is a 17" 4x3, the other is a 16x9 27".
This is the highest resolution in the height parameter because of the 17" native 1280x1024. Technically, I should be able to run, in span mode, 3584x1024.

Can I run two 17" (identical) screens: one for gui, second for 1920x480 output, even though the screen can't handle that resolution? Can I quickly change the composition to 1280x480 for it to work? Has anyone done this? Not sure my LCD screens will even take that resolution, maybe resolume just fills in the letter-boxed area with black?

Took my desktop to performance space today, installed the Matrox software for XP and hooked up an Analog Triplehead connected to three projectors. Due to limited time, I was only able to run the Matrox without a separate screen for gui. What happened when I tried to use a separate lcd screen for the gui, I could only get one projector to turn on giving me the dual monitor display I'm finding at my house (using two screens listed above). All of this without running resolume (didn't have time and will do more testing in two days).

Ideally, I want to be able to run a the 17" inch screen for the gui, and output 1920x480
Any help is greatly appreciated. I have 3 days until show.

[GPU: nVidia 470, driver: 260.99]

Thanks, ~Shawn

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Massta

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve exactly. It shouldn't be a problem to have the primary monitor (the diameter is irrelevant really) for the Gui, and the secondary monitor with a 1920x480 resolution, to be spanned across three projectors via a Triplehead.

What you *can't* do, however, and it sounds like this is what you're after, is display a 1920x480 composition fullscreen with the correct aspect ratio on a monitor set to a different resolution. Resolume will stretch the output so it fills the entire screen. For letterboxing, you can use the windowed mode.

If you want to properly test your Triplehead setup, I strongly suggest having the Triplehead connected, and taking a day in advance to get it all sorted.

I hope that helps.

Joris

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

you need to turn on dualview on your graphics card.
this will give you two seperate monitor with independent resolution contol for each one.