MBP & Resolume 3.3.1. : Problems with FPS and LATENCE

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
OIO_Mu
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MBP & Resolume 3.3.1. : Problems with FPS and LATENCE

Post by OIO_Mu »

Hi masters of VJ’ing and Resolume developers!

I’m a finnish film-maker who has begun to play visuals as an “instrument” in couple of elektro/instrumental bands. I’ve trained for while with Resolume 3.3.1 and I love it.

But I’ve some serious problems with FPS and LATENCE.

For these projects it’s fatalish to get latence between LIVE SOUND and VIDEO SCREENING as minimum as possible.

I’m using a quite low (& recommended) resolution 640x480 (dxv).
I’d love to use higher resolutions. Optimal would be of course Full HD resolution…

My system/hardware/software/settings are:

System
MacBookPro 5,3 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,8 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (also NVIDIA GEForce 9600M GT is shown in system profiler status: no display connected (?))
Number Of Processors:1 Total Number Of Cores:2 L2 Cache:6 MB
Memory: 4 GB (DDR3)
Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

Ableton APC-40 in use as Resolume controller (also ABLETON live possibility and USB-“box” for MIDI-cable if needed to get better result)

Settings in Resolume Avenue 3.3.1
Composition: 640x480
Clips: 640x480 dxv (newest from Resolume developers)
Layers: 3
Compostion effects:3-5 (external sync needed)
Layer effects: mostly just manipulating bpm/speed/rhytm and contrast/brightness

AUDIO sync:
Using External audio FFT input
Sample rate 48000 buffer size 1024
Feed from band: (Line in-signal) via audiomixer to mbp standart audio in (miniplug)

VIDEO out: via minidisplay port to DVI or minidisplay port to HDMI -adpters

My FPS in Resolume is mainly between 15-22 FPS which is really weird cause hardware should have power for much better! Some people in this forum are talking about using 5 layers, 1080P resolution and getting even 60FPS!?!?!?

Latence between music and external FFT synched video effects is mostly near by 0,5 second which is really poor also… It should be near zero to get audience amazed and hypnotized…:)

I’ve read great resolume support sites & forums and vjforums really carefully to solve this issue but still need some tips. Could someone help to solve this situation, please. Questions below:
1.1. how to get fps better overall?
1.2. Do I have to install windows 7 to get better result out from macbook pro? and if so, is 32bit or 64bit version better for Resolume? Bootcamp or parallels 6.0?
1.3. Do I need some external graphic/video card or other hardware/adapter system to get better result in fps-issue?

2.1. What is the best way to setup sync (with the most minimum latence) between live music and Resolume? FFT, midi clock-sync or some other?
2.2. Would it better to send external audio (live music) via line in cable or MIDI-cable (more problematic for band) to ableton live, and get sync clock signal to Resolume from ableton live software?
2.3. Or using other software for audio-sync-signal like: wormhole, MIDI-OSC-clock-v2 or Intime?

Can’t wait to get answers, solve these problems and take full step towards the world of real live visualization!

All the best and Respect to VJ-culture and developers of Resolume!
Last edited by OIO_Mu on Mon Jan 17, 2011 08:14, edited 4 times in total.

OIO_Mu

Re: MBP & Resolume 3.3.1. : Problems with FPS and LATENCE

Post by OIO_Mu »

I found out a simple solution for the issue how to get much better fps-rate to Resolume if you have macbook pro 5.3 and have low fps-problem.

Check out from macbook advanced info which graphic card is in use NVIDIA 9400 or 9600M GT. If u are using NVIDIA 9400 change it to 9600 GT. Here's how to do it:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/macb ... ics-modes/

listenpreis

Post by listenpreis »

I have a new mbp mid 2011 (i7 2,3 GHz) and I am experiencing the same problems. I have a 2 year old acer (C2D 2,26GHz) which has more than double the fps as the macbook. And the acer even had a higher resolution.

The test was btw to load ONE clip of the demo footage. PC-Resolume: 86 fps @ 720x576, OSX-Resolume: 40 fps
@ 640x480. Is this because of OS X? I am about to sell my macbook right now ;)

Do I have to update my drivers? Anything?

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Oh man, Im dealing with the same kind of stuff.
My dell laptop is at service and I just have a core 2 duo mbp to replace it in the meantime.

Well, I use to manage 7 layers, 800x600 clips in a 2400x600 comp and a lot of synched values. With the macbookpro I just can manage 3 layers at 640x480. One clip more and the fps goes down to 15fps.
I know, those machines have different specs. But hey! my mbp works at the same level that my old Pentium IV desktop machine!
In a world of shitty computers, why are we buying this slow little cuties for VJing?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

@francoe: You posted to an old post... but you are still right.
When I started veejay'ing a couple of years ago...I never went on stage without my Miditower.
You get so much more fun without counting fps :-)

But if you ever what to buy a Laptop for Veejaying....try one of these:

SCHENKER NOTBOOKS!
+ And don't forget to add a SSD!

Have fun!
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

eklektro
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by eklektro »

I've been experimenting with Avenue 3.3.2 on an Apple MacBook Pro 2.3ghz quadcore i7, and things have been working quite smooth with multiple clips and effects. I've been using the DXV codec as suggested, however, it seems to be limited to 640x480 resolution (?) (When i go to convert clips in Quicktime 7, this is the only setting that i see). Is there another DXV codec that allows for larger resolutions? I would like to experiment with higher resolutions and see if my laptop can handle it (since i don't often use too many simultaneous clips and effects). Is there another version of DXV that allows for higher resolutions? In Resolume's "composition settings", i can see that its possible to do 1080p, etc... So i'm wondering what codec people are using for such set-ups. Thanks for any advice!
Greg

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

That's strange! 640x480 is not the limitation of DXV

Try Streamclip for Mac >>
STREAMCLIP!

does it work for you?

greets
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

DXV can go much higer than avenue will easily function with ( not sure if there is an upper limit )

stormeagle

Post by stormeagle »

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem ...

Setup:
- Resolume Avenue v3.3.2
- MBP October 2009, 2,66 GHz, 4GB DDR3 1067 MHz, 9400M + 9600M GT (256 MB), 9600M GT is activated
- OS X Lion, all updates installed
- Current DXV-Codec (Video encoded with Windows / Quick Time Pro)
- Had the same problem already with Snow Leopard and the older Avenue Version

Problem:
With resolution of 640x480 it's OK, you can play two clips simultaneously (~ 28 FPS), but if you add a third clip it's impossible to work with (~ 20 FPS). The whole operating system lags and you have to problems to control Avenue.
After changing the resolution to 1280x720 (my work res), the FPS downgrades to ~ 7 FPS. A friend has the same setup with Win7x64 on his MBP, he does not have any problems, but I want to use OS X and Quarz Composer.
So I ask you ... please help me!

regards
stormeagle

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj granda »

You can try with Resolume Avenue 3.3.3