A good way to record? Or is my system not up to it?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
willcopps
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

A good way to record? Or is my system not up to it?

Post by willcopps »

Hi,

Does anyone know a good way to record output? I'm trying to record a VJ set for someone and nothing works. Resolume crashes after about a minute each time, FRAPS isn't good enough quality (could that be the demo?), Camtasia's framerate can't keep up, an wmcap isn't working quite right either.

I've tried moving my files back and forth between hard drives, moving the Resolume recording folder to different hard drives, adjusting the set resolution (I'd really like to record at 1280 x 720 if possible), unplugged my external monitor, tried every version of Resolume Avenue 3.x available... and nothing is working out. So frustrating! My best option so far has been filming my monitor... and that obviously isn't great either!

Resolume also does not record well on my other laptop, which runs the same operating system but with lower specs.

Is it a system issue? Does anyone else have other programs that I could try?

Here are my specs:

I have an AMD six-core processer (the Phen II X6 1090T.... 3.2ghz), Windows 7 64-bit, a 192-bit graphics card (GIGABYTE GV-N460D5-768I-B GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card), 8GB RAM (G.Skill RIPJAWS...gaming series), and a 7200RPM Western Digital caviar black internal. The other hard drives that I'm messing with are two 1TB Maxtor externals running through e-sata.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: A good way to record? Or is my system not up to it?

Post by francoe »

I have the same issue.
Actually, I think the best solution is get a frame grabber like this, and record on a desktop machine.

Christoph

Post by Christoph »

i had the same problem, always recording for one or two minutes and then crashing. thought my system isn't strong enough but when i see that you have the same issue whith those specs this shouldn't be the problem.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

It's odd that Avenue crashes, the recording is threaded so that the video frames are stored in RAM and another thread writes them to disk. The writing thread may fall behind when the CPU is failing to read and write fast enough. When the RAM usage is getting to high we stop the recording and write the remaining frames from RAM to disk. The recording could in theory run as long as your RAM doesn't fill up but it's not recommended you use the recorder to record whole sets. We'll have a look though to see whether we can improve it still.

Could you guys check wether your CPU maxes out when Avenue is recording, this might cause it to crash and we'll need to find a smarter way to monitor the RAM usage.

werlin

Post by werlin »

@edwin neither cpu, ram or diskspace max out

@willcops strange that you cant get a good recording on fraps, i got (not awesome fps but) decent results with fraps on a bit lower specs than you're on... 1280+audio (about 4\5 layers + fx)