Disappearing composition

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
patrickdunn
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Disappearing composition

Post by patrickdunn »

Hi - a few months ago I put together quite a complex, Ableton-triggered set with quite a large number of rows - about 15. Although the file still seems to exist, and there's a kind of shell (same number of rows, some of the controls in place etc.), almost everything has disappeared: MIDI mapping, the vid files themselves, effects etc.

I thought it might be because I'd moved vid files around, but slightly earlier versions of the same composition contain the same vids and they are still there. It's pretty catastrophic this because it's part of a degree I'm doing and although i've got a video of a performance, I can't perform it again.

Any ideas? Looks like some kind of file corruption to me.

Patrick

gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Disappearing composition

Post by gregsully »

I have been finding file corruption is quite possible in Resolume. I always save up a file number so that I can backtrack. However moving files is also quite disastrous. Resolume will not find files if they are moved.. but instead just wipe out the blocks..

patrickdunn
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by patrickdunn »

ah - ok; that's probably it then; it's pretty shattering though because it was maybe 5 days hard work...we live and learn...

gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gregsully »

Its so important to get happy with your media file structure to preserve current and past comps. I made the mistake once of changing the name of one of the master directories. The end result was no clips were found. This was an easy fix one I realized what I had done.. Imaging moving more media around though that you can't backtrack on.. All comps will be destroyed.

You should be able to recreate 5 days work in one day. Its easier the second time as you are just doing and not thinking.. Just get to it.. Good luck..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Two things to note here guys:
1. The project will still contain the location of the files, so they're not gone or corrupted, Resolume just can't find them. You should be able to recreate your composition without losing data.
2. Resolume 4 will introduce a re-locate button for missing files.

Joris