Layer slices

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
John McGeoch
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Layer slices

Post by John McGeoch »

First - excellent job, the mask implementation is great and will make Resolume as a mapping tool really fantastic, hours of prep saved. To complement the masks or sometimes to do without them, can i assign each layer to a different slice in the advanced output and then set up a different shape for each? I can only seem to get the whole output to be warped or shaped. Also my ouput sizes are showing very bizarre values, my laptop screen ( 1600 x 900 ) is showing as 1067 x 600 and my monitor, on which I`m doing my testing is showing 682 x 512. Also coming out of the advanced screen page both the laptop and the monitor are showing the full screen and i have to control shift2 to get back to the working Resolume page. Best wishes John McGeoch

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Layer slices

Post by Joris »

John McGeoch wrote:can i assign each layer to a different slice in the advanced output and then set up a different shape for each? I can only seem to get the whole output to be warped or shaped.
You can achieve this by putting each layer (or multiple layers) in a corner of your composition. Then you can have a slice only take that part of the comp as input via the input selection. This is a bit different than how IRMapio works for instance, but does allow you to composite multiple layers in one slice.
John McGeoch wrote: Also my ouput sizes are showing very bizarre values, my laptop screen ( 1600 x 900 ) is showing as 1067 x 600 and my monitor, on which I`m doing my testing is showing 682 x 512.
Can you send us a screenshot of this?
John McGeoch wrote:Also coming out of the advanced screen page both the laptop and the monitor are showing the full screen and i have to control shift2 to get back to the working Resolume page.
By default, the advanced screen setup will access all available monitors. You can uncheck your main monitor in the top left when you first the setup page.

Joris

datamafia
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by datamafia »

This is one of a few answers I was looking for. The slice and ability to warp to the surface is VERY desirable, but the implementation is super early and i suspect it will be a while until this satisfies my basic needs.

I will continue to truck on with this, but the slice feature needs to mature.

Suggestions/feedback

-Layer -> slice independence
-Layer mask manipulation needs decoupling from layer (independent size controls a must for mask to work independent of the layer aka static masking on the layer level)
-up/down arrow increments for the fine tuning, mouse control is too sloppy, entering numeric values is too slow, and MIDI is good (via step control) but too cumbersome.

Keep up the good work. Consider this scenario (for me):

Single projector throwing to 3+ "cubes" each w/2-3 sides. Each side is a slice making 6+ slices in use. With layer level slice control I can then set up layers for the "faces" of the cubes.

Thx, want pics? this stuff is looking hot.

gsbe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by gsbe »

Joris- I'd love to see a video tutorial on how to do this. That would really help.
goto10 wrote:
John McGeoch wrote:can i assign each layer to a different slice in the advanced output and then set up a different shape for each? I can only seem to get the whole output to be warped or shaped.
You can achieve this by putting each layer (or multiple layers) in a corner of your composition. Then you can have a slice only take that part of the comp as input via the input selection. This is a bit different than how IRMapio works for instance, but does allow you to composite multiple layers in one slice.
John McGeoch wrote: Also my ouput sizes are showing very bizarre values, my laptop screen ( 1600 x 900 ) is showing as 1067 x 600 and my monitor, on which I`m doing my testing is showing 682 x 512.
Can you send us a screenshot of this?
John McGeoch wrote:Also coming out of the advanced screen page both the laptop and the monitor are showing the full screen and i have to control shift2 to get back to the working Resolume page.
By default, the advanced screen setup will access all available monitors. You can uncheck your main monitor in the top left when you first the setup page.

Joris

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

gsbe wrote:Joris- I'd love to see a video tutorial on how to do this. That would really help.
I finally started playing with Arena advanced output capabilities.
I got amazed and frustrated at the same time. But I am glad to hear what is up to come in 4.1.

For now, I don´t have the time to create a video tutorial but I guess I can write something right now, as I try to check if this is what Joris actually meant.

This is what I did and worked to me as a test, but at a high cost:
In this tutorial you will have 09 different slices/images. I am keeping clip sizes at 640x480 due to FPS performance. To achieve 09 slices, we will need a 3x3 row/collum format in our composition.
So, composition is 640 x 3 = 1920 by 480 x 3 = 1440 pixels.
You will need 09 layers. Wow.. 09 layers, each one playing a different 640x480 clip. That´s the cost of it: performance! Not every computer will handle 30 FPS with that setup. Still, if you don´t need 09 different clips, you can minimize the number of layers, using the same layer/clip for different slices.
Enable/change resolution of every single layer to 640x480 pixels.
- position layer 01 on top left corner (you can do it through numerical input): x:-640 y:-480;
- position layer 02 on top middle: x:0 y:-480;
- position layer 03 on top right corner: x:640 y:-480
This is it for the first row. Second row now:
- position layer 04 on: x:-640 y:0
- position layer 05 on: x:0 y:0
- position layer 06 on: X:640 y:0
And for the third row:
- position layer 07: x:-640 y:480
- position layer 08: x:0 y:480
- position layer 09: x:640 y:480

Now your output window displays 09 different clips playing. Go to Advanced Output and create all 09 desired slices. On Input Selection, scale and position each slice to fit one of the 09 clips. Then go to the Output Transformation tab and deform each slice to match the desired physical projection target.

This setup is somewhat tiresome and I wouldn´t dare to have any new layer for mixing. ; )
I´ve heard of 4.1 having the capability of already assigning a layer to a slice, simplifying this setup.
I still havent tried blending edges and working with more than one display.
I´d like to know what is the Resolume Team recomendations (performance safe limits) considering similar setups? After all, another computer means a second Arena package.

Cheers!!!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If you want full control over different content on 9 different surfaces, you're going to need 9 layers, there's no way around that.

With the layer/slice routing in 4.1, you can keep your comp size as low as your layer size, so that's a big performance boost already.

Aside from that, unless you're using a 1080p projector, and mapping more than 90% of the projected area, you don't need to work with 480p content. Because the pixels get scaled down in the mapping/warping anyway, make your content and layers 200p or even lower to save bandwidth and processing.