Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vjloco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post by vjloco »

You might try going to the control panel, selecting "system configuration" and then selecting "diagnostic startup". You then have to restart the computer. This disables many unnecessary processes and on my computer makes resolume run smoother. The only problem is that you can't use the Audio in because that is disabled also.
Another helpful program is "Game booster" which also disables unnecessary processes.
Laptop: Intel Core 2cpu T7200 @2Ghz - 2Gig Ram
Operating system: Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 X64
Video card: NVIDIA Gforce Go 7600

offthesky
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by offthesky »

i've been running the res 4 demo for a few days now and am noticing a few random stutters here and there when i play clips... the clips are all .mov, 1024x576, dxv, 25fps ... and i'm only playing one clip at a time, no layering. they range in time length from 30second to 3minutes. unfortunately the material within the footage clips is subtle and slowly evolving with allot of lush detail that helps keep the eyes glued to the screen so when the stuttering happens, it feels really obvious and really bad.

i'm working on a macbook pro. i bought it brand new in march, 2011 with all the highest features added in... i've recently reinstalled osx so there's only ableton on there and the res 4 demo. is there something i could do for my system to make this problem go away? this is a fairly top of the line mbp but with the stutters, it's like having your music glitch out in the middle of a set... totally noticeable and totally NOT pro.

any feedback on how to optimize osx or get rid of the stutters would be awesome!
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

I'd be interested in hearing if the original problem got fixed with the update, did it?

offthesky

Post by offthesky »

I'm also interested in hearing the solution to the original problem - hopefully it could help me with my smooth playback issues...
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

There are two main problems being lumped together in this thread.

1. Jittering playback in slow moving clips, where the playhead continues to play smoothly (most noticeable on clips with horizontal scrolling content).
This is caused by discrepancies between the clips fps and the refresh rate. If your clips are 25 fps (or 50, or 60, or 29.97) and the refresh rate is something other than 25 (or 50, or 60, or 29.97 or an exact multiple of that), sometimes the screen has to display a particular frame longer than other frames. This causes a tiny perceptual slowdown of the footage. We are experimenting with different techniques to lock this down, and have made some progress in the update mentioned, but it continues to remain noticeable if you are indeed 'glued to the screen'.

2. Jittering playback in all clips, where the playhead also struggles (most likely accompanied by a drop in the fps).
This is caused by the system not being able to keep up with getting all the data. Either the problem is the CPU is overloaded because a non-optimized codec is used, or the read speed of the hard disk is not fast enough to read all the data. We recommend using SSD drives with DXV encoded footage for the best results.

I hope that sheds some light on the situation.

cgion

Post by cgion »

I am having similar issues with playback smoothness. I have random periods of "stuttering" of all (2) clips synchronously. However, this is not accompanied by a drop in FPS. FPS is constantly 59.98. It should be noted that one of these clips is a stock Resolume footage shop clip (RebelOverlay-DigitalWarfare_digi_1.mov); DXV 800x600 30fps. The other clip is DXV 30fps 1024x768. Composition contains 2 layers, 1 column, and only these 2 clips. No scaling for either clip, no scaling for either layer. No audio. Global effects and blend modes disabled. Composition size matched to display resolution, to ensure no output scaling. Mac OS X graphics switching off. No monitor, external 1920x1080, and triplehead2go at various resolutions all exhibit the same problem. Each clip is on a seperate internal SSD. Blackmagic Speed Test read results for these drives: Boot SSD 180 MB/s, Internal storage SSD 259 MB/s. atMonitor reports disk read i/o between 1.3-1.8 MB/s during playback of these 2 clips. Complete computer specs below. Any thoughts?

Fresh install of Mac OS X 10.6.8 with only Arena 4.0.1 demo, MPEG Streamclip, and atMonitor installed.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics 1: Intel HD 3000 512 MB
Graphics 2: AMD Radeon 6770m 1GB

Boot Drive: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD (3G)
Storage 1: OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD (internal via OWC optical bay adapter)
Storage 2: OWC Mercury Elite AL-PRO dual 6G SSD configured as RAID-0. hardware controlled.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

cgion wrote:I am having similar issues with playback smoothness. I have random periods of "stuttering" of all (2) clips synchronously. However, this is not accompanied by a drop in FPS. FPS is constantly 59.98. It should be noted that one of these clips is a stock Resolume footage shop clip (RebelOverlay-DigitalWarfare_digi_1.mov); DXV 800x600 30fps. The other clip is DXV 30fps 1024x768. Composition contains 2 layers, 1 column, and only these 2 clips. No scaling for either clip, no scaling for either layer. No audio. Global effects and blend modes disabled. Composition size matched to display resolution, to ensure no output scaling. Mac OS X graphics switching off. No monitor, external 1920x1080, and triplehead2go at various resolutions all exhibit the same problem. Each clip is on a seperate internal SSD. Blackmagic Speed Test read results for these drives: Boot SSD 180 MB/s, Internal storage SSD 259 MB/s. atMonitor reports disk read i/o between 1.3-1.8 MB/s during playback of these 2 clips. Complete computer specs below. Any thoughts?

Fresh install of Mac OS X 10.6.8 with only Arena 4.0.1 demo, MPEG Streamclip, and atMonitor installed.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics 1: Intel HD 3000 512 MB
Graphics 2: AMD Radeon 6770m 1GB

Boot Drive: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD (3G)
Storage 1: OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD (internal via OWC optical bay adapter)
Storage 2: OWC Mercury Elite AL-PRO dual 6G SSD configured as RAID-0. hardware controlled.
seems the radeon gpu is not activated....
macbook is connected to power supply?
maybe you need Updates or Lion for proper graphic drivers.
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

cgion

Post by cgion »

Power adapter is always plugged in. I have gfxcardstatus to select/monitor which gpu is in use. I have it set to only use the Radeon. The problem is worse when I switch to the integrated Intel GPU.

cgion

Post by cgion »

Now on Lion 10.7.3 and no change. Mac OS X support is seemingly nonexistent on the AMD website. I have reduced the composition to one layer, playing the stock Resolume clip (RebelOverlay-DigitalWarfare_digi_1.mov), and I'm still experiencing the stuttering. Is anybody getting good results with Windows on this i7 macbook pro with the Radeon 6770m?

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

I think it's some bug in the resolume engine. I spend days to test one clip on different system (win7 i7 system, macbook pro, win xp) with one clip (30fps, 1024x576) and i have the stuttering on all systems. It's randomly and u see the progress bar also stuttering inside the interface. When i play the clip inside quicktime everything is fine. The clip is dxv encoded, without any audio.

I have 3 engines to test the clips, i7 with ati 6950 win7, i7 2 nvidia gtx 560ti sli win7, macbook pro. None of them is playing really smooth.

Hope there will be an update soon!