Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
TomaSusi
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Smooth playback - what am I missing?

Post by TomaSusi »

goto10 wrote:It's actually the exact opposite of a framedrop issue. What the majority of the people in this thread are experiencing is that the clip's fps does not sync up to the output monitor's refresh rate.

Let's say you are playing a 25 fps clip on a 60Hz monitor. This means that most frames will be displayed during 2 Hz, but a few will displayed during 3HZ. If you are playing footage that has a slow constant movement in it, your eyes will perceive this difference in display duration as a slowdown or frame drop.

We have made some headway in this department, but we haven't managed to lock it 100%.
Ah, so you think the playback will be smooth if the projector refresh rate matches the video material? I'll test this and see if it helps.

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

But when having those stutters, the progressbar also stops for a while?! And while playing exactly the same file in quicktime or QLab everything is fine without stuttering. :o

veek

Post by veek »

Same problems on a Mac Pro quad core, 16 GB, 2 x SSD Raid 0. Playing in Lion 8 layers with png 960 x 540 on a composition 3840 x 1080, it plays first 3 layer on 59 fps. After I activate next layers 4 to 8 fps goes down to 18-20 and animation on images are not smooth anymore. The output resolution were HD at 60Hz. And even without activated another screen output the situation was the same. The live camera was also like in slow motion. With maximum 3 layer everything is fine.
Same computer on win7 bootcamp at HD resolution 50 HZ, it start from 50 and after the fourth layer was activated the fps goes down to 20-25.
Nothing is changed even if I turn off effects.
Any clue?
I have try also in Milumil and everything looks perfect except the fact that the clips has no animation. But the live camera looks all right even with 10 layers.
Any help please? Because Resolume plays an important role in our productions. I attached a picture to explain better our configuration.Image

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So what Dbassix and Veek are experiencing is the other problem that is mentioned in this thread, namely that the computer not being able to cope with the load anymore.

Any glitches in playback accompanied by a drop in framerate is a sure sign of a computer bottleneck somewhere. Resolume simply cannot keep up with what you're trying to make it do (8 x 3840x1080 is asking quite a bit for instance).

If you are experiencing problems with smooth playback, I strongly suggest starting a new topic or contacting us directly, because giving support or finding helpful advice in this thread is becoming increasingly difficult.

veek

Post by veek »

I am not so sure that the computer is the problem. I arrange my pictures in modul8 on a composition on 10 layers put some effects and output via syphon in resolume. From modul8 everything looks fine, no glitches or slow images
In resolume only one layer active on a composition of 3840 x 1080. I did not connect any output, just let resolume to play this layer. The fps was about 15-20 even when this layer was deactivated. Processor busy 18%, ram memory free 7 GB, on SSD data read 31MB/s. I think that there are place for more than that.

Another test that I make: one layer 1920 x 1080, a single picture, no effect, no output activated. Starting from 59 fps. After I created 4 slices fps goes down to 20. After 4 more slices 10 fps.

Weird, isn't it?

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

veek
look at the facts:
-3840 x 1080 comp
-4 to 8 layers or 1 layer (modul8+syphon)
-cpu, memory and ssd..Ok
-slices drop down the fps

I think the big winning in this bottleneck's contest has a clear name: GPU
You are going beyond his overhead turning on the 4 layer, or setting some slices.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm locking this topic to avoid further confusion.

Please start a new thread if you think you have an issue not already covered in this thread or the follow up: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10089