My considerations so far.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

My considerations so far.

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

First just want to congratulate Resolume team for the amazing job they have been doing. this version is much stronger, reliable and with great new features. I would like to highlight the small new features that are so simple but very helpful for live VJ like the use of arrow keys to navigate through layers and launch clips, the copy and paste clips function, the ability to type the effect name to find it faster, the new random play mode on BPM Sync and the ability too change between compositions MUCH faster, now instead of having lots of layer I can have few tabs/compositions with all my clips, very useful if you are using MIDI controllers like APC40 and want to keep everything in few layers to be able to control all layers with the controller.
nice work guys.

sorry if I write something stupid here, I am not a programmer and have no idea how difficult must be to achieve some of my suggestions but as a VJ here are some of the issues I have found and my suggestions:

AUDIO INPUT:
- today we can only use 1 audio input for the whole composition but it would be great and it would give Resolume much more power if we could select different inputs for different layers, what I mean is because more and more people are using Ableton with Resolume for live AV sets, the ability to input audio from different channel coming from Ableton or even soundflower, would make the live av set much more dynamic, imagine having one layer reacting to the kick of the drums and another layer reacting to the bass lines.

ADVANCED OUTPUT:
- just joining forces, the ability to map LAYERS like IR mapio should be incorporate. it is essential. it is the only thing missing.

AUTOPILOT
- one problem I have found with autopilot is if the beginning point of the video clip is changed under the "Transport" tab the autopilot stops working and to have it working again for that clip I need to change to a different transport mode (like from Timeline to BPM sync or vice versa),
also when it is under "BPM sync" mode and the beginning point of the video is changed the "BeatLoopr" goes automatically to "4 beats mode"

- I agree with everyone here that for the "autopilot" to be effective and useful some changes must be made, something like the copilot or step sequencer made by Gian Pablo Villamil should be achieved. I use his patches all the time and still using them even after Avenue 4 as they give me much more control.

CLEARING CLIP SLOT:
- clearing a clip slot should be made simple, It would be great if we could do it hitting the Backspace key or any key, also the ability to map to a MIDi controller,

X/Y LAYER POSITION:

- it would amazing and make our life much easier if the X and Y position for the layers/clip could be done using the mouse or a X/Y pad midi controller, like you do on Modul8, gives us more dynamic when playing live.

- maybe somebody can tell me but I can't see a difference between layer and clip size, what I mean is if you resize the layer to 50 for example and then make the clip size on that layer 200 it will be the same as if I had done nothing. The reason I am bringing this up is because when using the method of dividing the screen in slices, like 4x4 and then map each slice to different surfaces in a way of having a mapped projection, I can't make the video bigger otherwise that video will appear in some of the other slices. so my suggestion would be no matter how big you make the video clip it would never be bigger than the layer, I mean the resize video would only be visible inside the layer size.

-SELECT and PREVIEW LAYER TAB update (above the fader)

one of the reasons to use MIDI controllers is to be able to leave the mouse and have more hands on for your set specially when playing live, but it is very frustrating that after you press the button that you mapped on your APC for example to show the Layer 7 (example) you still need to use the mouse to scroll up to be able to see the layer 7, because the tab does not update itself. Or maybe arrow keys mapped? so we could map buttons on a MIDI controller to navigate up and down.

here are my suggestions so far, hope this will help to make Resolume even more powerful.

Tks Resolume team, you rock. :ugeek:

Alvis Cortex:
MAcBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X Lion

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: My considerations so far.

Post by Tschoepler »

+1 just for the format of your post :D
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Tschoepler wrote:+1 just for the format of your post :D
Tks Tschoepler, but I would also like to hear from people if the agree with any of these or if I am talking bullshit :) .

Alvis Cortex

John McGeoch

Post by John McGeoch »

I think that it`s a great list, a show run stlye auto pilot sequencer would be fabby and a key to clear a clip likewise. Being able to map layers is essential and an mouse / touchpad control of the XY movement would stop the currently very tedious method to relocate or move a layer. Currently wishing i had more time to explore the new features in R4 at ..............

chaos theory
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by chaos theory »

all great ideas.really hope the team can implement mapping to layers.for the difference in price I think its justified.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for your suggestions and clear feedback!
Alvis_Cortex wrote:AUDIO INPUT:
- today we can only use 1 audio input for the whole composition but it would be great and it would give Resolume much more power if we could select different inputs for different layers,
Good point. It's quite a biggie to implement though, so it's not likely to happen. Maybe you can use our M4L patches to send FFT data? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8717&p=32131&hilit=m4l#p32131
Alvis_Cortex wrote:ADVANCED OUTPUT:
- just joining forces, the ability to map LAYERS like IR mapio should be incorporate.
Yup, we've taken all the comments on this to heart. All I can say now is that we've got some good plans for this one.
Alvis_Cortex wrote:AUTOPILOT
Both of these are known bugs and should be fixed in the next beta.
Alvis_Cortex wrote:I agree with everyone here that for the "autopilot" to be effective and useful some changes must be made
Yes, this is on our radar too. The genius solution hasn't hit us yet though.
Alvis_Cortex wrote:CLEARING CLIP SLOT:
We're very careful about allowing mapping of such an incisive feature to a key or midi control. Do people really use this function that much in a live situation?
Alvis_Cortex wrote:- it would amazing and make our life much easier if the X and Y position for the layers/clip could be done using the mouse or a X/Y pad midi controller
You can do this by mapping a keyboard key in mouse mode. In the default Application Key Map this is done for the P (position of the active clip) and S (scale of the active clip) keys
Alvis_Cortex wrote:maybe somebody can tell me but I can't see a difference between layer and clip size
Clip size is applied on the current clip only, layer size on all clips triggered into that layer. They do work additive, so indeed 200% on the clip and 50% on the layer would make that one clip normal again (same goes for composition btw). Your suggestion is valid, but other people may need the behaviour to stay the way it is. To achieve the behaviour you want, I would suggest using the KeyStone Mask effect.
Alvis_Cortex wrote:-SELECT and PREVIEW LAYER TAB update (above the fader)
Good one! I'll make a feature request for this.

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

goto10 wrote: Good point. It's quite a biggie to implement though, so it's not likely to happen.
thanks for the patches, they are great, and I can imagine it must be a very hard work but keep in mind for the future, this would take Resolume to completely new level end make it very powerful
goto10 wrote: Yup, we've taken all the comments on this to heart. All I can say now is that we've got some good plans for this one.
GREAT news, looking forward to see it
goto10 wrote: The genius solution hasn't hit us yet though.
Hopefully it will soon.
goto10 wrote: Do people really use this function that much in a live situation?
I would say so, I had few situation where I had to clear clip slots to replace with other clips especially when I could only map, lets say 4 layers to a MIDI controller due to the limitations of the controller, in a way of making sure I would always have layers controlled by a controller I had to keep clearing slots to replace with new video clips.
Also no metter how well you plan your VJ set in advance you always change something on the fly, you need to be able to change your set completely if you think so and being able to clear a clip slot with a single key could help a lot. just offering the option to map I think would be enough and people could decide if they want to do it or not.

but Also now with a much faster 'deck" change this problem might be solved as we can keep adding new decks and use them. Congrats for this improvement
goto10 wrote: You can do this by mapping a keyboard key in mouse mode. In the default Application Key Map this is done for the P (position of the active clip) and S (scale of the active clip) keys
GREAT, I didn't know about this possibility, fanastic, tks.
goto10 wrote: Good one! I'll make a feature request for this.
Thank you, I think this topic is very important as more and more people are using MIDI controllers and whant a quick response from the software, not having to use the mouse to scroll up or down will make a difference.

an one more time congratulations for this great version, I :D Resolume

Alvis Cortex

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

John McGeoch wrote:and an mouse / touchpad control of the XY movement would stop the currently very tedious method to relocate or move a layer.
and then also adding the arrow keys and shift+arrow (move by 10 ;)). Quickly get the layer around where you need it with the mouse and fine tune with the keys.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS +
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

+ 1