File formats ??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
stevespaw
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: File formats ??

Post by stevespaw »

Thanks for the reply Joris,
I understand you have priorities and a market that you need to support.
I apprieciate the Information and perspective and will continue to follow the progress.
There is a market where people are using lesser products like playback pro, when you have such potential.

BTW, we are looking for Windows solutions.

Thanks again,
Steve

videohead
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by videohead »

My immediate goal is to determine which containers and codecs Resolume will support for general purpose playback, and not get into a "DXV is good/bad" discussion. There are some specific reasons why DXV will not work for my specific uses (no batch transcoding support, not supported in current transcode operations, I am playing back media from many professional and non-pro producers who have not heard of it or cannot change their workflows), so I need to move forward and make decisions about what IS supported if I am going to use Resolume.

The following were tested on a Windows 10 Computer running Avenue 4.5.2, exported from Premiere. I avoided all standard definition settings.

Yes, in MOV container:
QuickTime ProRes LT and 422
MP4
MJPEG
H.264
(You have to append .mov to the file extension to get these to work universally)

Yes, in AVI container:
MJPEG

Container not supported:
MXF - it does not matter what codec - Joris has confirmed that this will not ever be supported in email to me.
.MP* container - no variants of MPEG seem to be supported
WMV
M4V
M2T
MTS

Codecs Not Supported:
DNxHD
MPEG
DVCPro
OP1a
GoPro/Cineform
BlackMagic 8 or 10 bit
Windows Media

Also apparently not supported:
Network drives

In my opinion, a pretty restrictive list with no support from major professional media applications, which puts into strong question whether Resolume should be considered a professional application.

Please let me know if you have others to add to this list.
Last edited by videohead on Sun Aug 14, 2016 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

videohead wrote:no batch transcoding support, not supported in current transcode operations.
Adobe media encoder has a nice feature called watch folder, where you can drop your files and the converter queues the files with the specified transcoding settings and starts automatically.
I have a preset with fps, resolution set to match source, video encoding set to dxv, audio set to 48k wav.
This works even for jpg and png.
It would be worth trying.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu