Trying to trigger video with a premade MIDI sequence

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Matthaag
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Trying to trigger video with a premade MIDI sequence

Post by Matthaag »

Hi, I'm a newb.

Thank you so much for continuing to read this post after that sentence.

So here's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. I have a MIDI drum part that was exported from Finale 2011. I want to assign video clips of drum hits to be triggered by the midi sequence. The resulting video will eventually be edited together with recordings of the other instrument parts for YouTube.

I've been able to assign video clips to the proper notes, and trigger them with an external MIDI controller. Is there a way to import a completed MIDI track into Resolume? If not, I have gathered from searching the forums that it is possible to use a separate piece of software to run the sequence and trigger the Resolume events. What kind of programs work for that? (I'm on Windows 7) I don't have any experience sending MIDI information between programs, so any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

VJ4thWall
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Trying to trigger video with a premade MIDI sequence

Post by VJ4thWall »

Hi Matt,

Resolume does not support "in-app" MIDI sequencing.

However, ANY decent DAW should be able to play your MIDI track and send the MIDI to Resolume. I can't recommend Ableton highly enough. Especially for what you are trying to do.

There are also a ton of standalone software MIDI sequencers out there that would do what you are looking for. Maybe someone has additional suggestions?