Avenue 4 MIDI Output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJ4thWall
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Avenue 4 MIDI Output

Post by VJ4thWall »

Hi All,

My general problem: I am trying to create a working MIDI map for my OhmRGB in Avenue 4.

Specifically, I need to send MIDI notes with varying velocities OUT from Avenue 4 in order to drive LED colors on the OhmRGB pads.

Is this possible in Avenue 4?

Also, is the API for MIDI output exposed at all in xml? If so, can you possibly provide some documentation?

Thanks in Advance,
Chris

VJ4thWall

Re: Avenue 4 MIDI Output

Post by VJ4thWall »

Anyone have some friendly advice on this?

Has anyone out there tried using MIDI output?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Velocity is only used in Resolume for sliders, so they can be controlled with a button. Although it will work with midi output, the corresponding button will only react to 0 or 1 from the slider, not in-between values.

We're in the process of seeing what controllers are popular among our users, and making specific templates for them. If you could describe specifically what functionality you'd like to see, we can take that into account.

The API for Midi output is actually straightforward 'what comes in, goes out', so when a mapped interface element is updated via another means than Midi, the corresponding signal will be sent back to the controller.

I hope that makes things clear.

VJ4thWall

Post by VJ4thWall »

I would very much appreciate a template for Livid's Ohm RGB.

The functionality I am looking for is basic:

If a clip is loaded, a corresponding RGB pad should light up with color A.
If a clip is playing, the corresponding RGB pad should light up with color B.

My understanding is that the Ohm RGB pads are controlled by MIDI note with velocity. Different velocity values trigger different LED colors.

Is this even possible with your API?

michaelmoore83

Post by michaelmoore83 »

I too would like to be able to have Resolume send velocity information to update the colors on my OHM RGB

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We're aware of the demand for this. There a few issues that prevent us from implementing this as a feature though, one of which is that every controller requires different midi velocities to change colors.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

I just got a note from Livid, asking whether I could make my OHM2Resolume patch OHMRGB-compatible. I don't have an OHMRGB and thus would have to implement this feature without being able to test it on the actual hardware. I asked them for a possible discount/device to work on an implementation. Waiting … ; ]
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

justints
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by justints »

Hello,

I have a Behringer LC-1 controller that I would very much like to use with Resolume. It has 4 banks of 8 buttons, 8 rotary encoders and mute/solo/select buttons all of which can display different colors. I would love it if it would be possible to simply tie the colors of the keys to the deck selected.

Not sure if this controller shares the same issue with the OHM RGB - requiring different velocities to trigger the different LED colors.

Please let me know if this would be possible or if you have any ideas how I might be able to build a map for this controller myself.

- J

justints
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by justints »

Just doing some digging and I found Bome's Midi Translator - http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

it would appear that one could take the resolume midi out and combine it with some conditional statements in the midi translator to send out various velocities to the control surface to light up the different colors.

I am going to do some tests and I will report back.

- j.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Bomes works. I used it to control an APC 20 and give different midi layers certain colors. Just takes some time to get it all working. I currently use bomes on my livid block for handy little things like double tapping BPM halve.