Triggering a clip AGAIN via DMX

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
indyLD
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Triggering a clip AGAIN via DMX

Post by indyLD »

Hi all

It's me with my questions again, controlling Avenue 3.3 using DMX this time (if you've see the forum post, Arena 4 DMX mapping is incorrect at the moment, 3.3 seems to work fine) This is not really a bug, but it's an issue that I'm wondering if people who know more about Resolume than me can find a way around.

So, I am firing clip within it's own layer Layer using DMX Trigger Clip values from a lighting console. The clip plays to the end then stops. Good.

What I want to do is to be able to fire that clip AGAIN with another blast of DMX data that says Trigger Clip again. If you do this within Resolume, you just click on the clip slot and the clip starts again from the beginning. Great.

When you send this DMX value again from a console, nothing happens. The only way to trigger a clip again is to send a Trigger to a different clip on that Layer, even a blank one, so that Resolume can "hear" it properly again.
This is a function of how Latest Takes Precedence (LTP) works. The value is always being sent and resending it again makes no difference to Resolume, unless you change the value and change it back again.

Before I work out a console workaround to this issue, is there any setting within Avenue that I can change regarding the triggering of clips that might help me? I've tried a few but not found an easy solution.

Thanks and looking forward to bringing Resolume into my world in 2012.

Rob

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Triggering a clip AGAIN via DMX

Post by dbassix »

Hi, try to change the clip-trigger style to "PIANO". In this way, the clip will be played as long as you send dmx on this channel. If you release the desk, the clip stops emidiatly, if you trigger it again, the clip will start again (from the beginning). Thats how it works on my desk (E:Cue Lightning Application Suite 5.3, controlling Arena via ArtNet)

Cheers

indyLD
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Triggering a clip AGAIN via DMX

Post by indyLD »

To return to this topic, with the solution that I ended up using.

Instead of using Piano style triggering, which does the job of releasing the clip ready for it to play again (I wanted it to play until the end but then be able to fire it again) I used a blank slot at the start of the layer.

This blank slot was running via a Master cue, that basically reset the layer briefly when the clip trigger cue was released. The layer setting stopped the clip from stopping dead, but played until it finished unless it was retriggered again.

The Master cue also had other data in it that needed setting, such as Comp volume etc and anything else that needed to be there all the time, or reset to when other triggers were released.

It worked rather well.