OSC output doesn't work

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Bang Boom Ben
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

OSC output doesn't work

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

Hello,
I just tried to get the OSC output working via TouchOSC on iPad. I get the communication running but TouchOSC nearly freezes, also Res4 interaction freezes- It's still running but you can't change any more values. Anybody with same problems? Seems like a bug.
Ben
b

manoeuvretv
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: OSC output doesn't work

Post by manoeuvretv »

This is a pretty late reply but I just started using TouchOSC with Resolume, now there is a full featured Android version I'm looking into it.
I've noticed there is a ton of info getting spat out when you enable OSC Out. The base Resolume install uses about .5 of my network resources when I enable OSC Out, when I have a fully loaded deck with effect stacks on composition/clips etc my network traffic is 10x more than that. Enough traffic that I can't browse the web while OSC Out is enabled. If you run TouchOSC over wifi you will probably notice some lag on the updates coming back from Resolume. With my full loadout enabled OSC Out will pretty much stall/crash Resolume.

I'm thinking about going through and disabling OSC on every interface element, after some quick math I worked out I had to disable around 10 thousand+ OSC check boxes.....

It seems an entry for OSC is only written when you change a value away from the default, so I can't do a mass edit on the contextualOscShortcuts.xml file to disable everything. Is this correct, is there any way to mass disable the OSC Output flag?
Richard De Souza
MNVR
http://www.mnvr.tv

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Unfortunately there is no quick way to disable OSC output completely and then turning selected messages on. It gets even worse because there are a few messages ( clip names for instance ) that can't be disabled at all.

We're re-examining the OSC implementation right now actually, but it looks like it's in need of a major overhaul.

For the time being, you can work around it by sending everything to a third party app, and filtering there.

manoeuvretv

Post by manoeuvretv »

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of routing programs for Windows, something like Osculator would be perfect. Filtering out all the timeline data for clip/effects playhead would probably speed things up a lot. Will be sticking to midi for a while longer!
Richard De Souza
MNVR
http://www.mnvr.tv

SHQ
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by SHQ »

Hi,
I tested several hw combinations with TouchOSC v 1.9.1 /with Martin Thoburn's layouts/ and resolume /arena 4.1.7 and also avenue 4.0/ (via OSC protocol) with partial succes; I noticed data overload going from resolume too - its very anoying that osc out doesnt work properly, because it would be a killer control app..(
What is strange, that the only combination of devices works fine - macbook and ipad :/

here's video with further description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZMUy3l8s0

Have you made any progress with this issue by a chance?
thx
Last edited by SHQ on Thu Dec 12, 2013 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

beatfix

Post by beatfix »

Funny, I just came to the forum to post an OSC bug, and this thread was already at the top of the stack...

First, +1 to the limitation of "always-on" OSC outputs. It would be nice to have more control over what gets sent out. There are times when I only want to send very specific commands between copies of Res which have different content loaded.

I also discovered another OSC bug that was a showstopper, curious if others have seen this:
Sending OSC from a Windows 8 computer running Arena (host) to an OSX computer running Arena or Avenue (target)
Trigger a clip slot on the host machine.
On the target machine, the corresponding clip slot is triggered, but all of the content on that layer turns black.
This behavior repeats for any layer on which a clip is triggered from the host machine.

If the clip is a source plugin with transparency underneath it, you can see that the clip has been triggered - but it has no brightness. There is nothing I can find or think of in the Resolume UI to undo this behavior - it requires a restart.

Anyone else experience this bug? I have replicated it on 3 different target machines (receiving from the same host). Haven't had a chance to see if it happens when the host and target are running the same operating system.

I have been working with 2 friends on a 3-computer setup, hoping to do remote control over OSC, but we had to switch to using MIDI instead. A more flexible and less buggy OSC implementation would be a killer feature for complex setups like the one we are working on.

Of course, the only reason I got deep enough into Res to find this bug is because in general I find it to be an excellent program. Thanks for continuing to work to improve it.

cheers,
jeff

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

this black screen OSC output problem is a known bug, 4.1.4 already had it. I hope a future update, or Res5 will fix it.

I suggest you to use Qlab (OSX), it is free if you only use to send OSC commands. you can make groups with all the arena server machine commands and send all of them in the same time. I use this method all the time with decent result.