What's Alternate Ableton Live Mode on the midi pref for APC?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

What's Alternate Ableton Live Mode on the midi pref for APC?

Post by Shorties »

I've been messing around with my new APC 40 trying to figure out the best way I want to go about mapping this thing to Resolume Arena and I'm just wondering what exactly is the difference with Ableton Live mode, and Alternate Ableton Live mode in the midi settings? I see Alternate Ableton live mode is the recommended setting but I just can't figure out what makes it different. So far the only thing I can figure out is that the Generic mode preserves the 8 separate knob banks of the device control section of the APC 40, but thats the only difference between any of the three modes I have found in my limited time messing around with it. Thanks if anyone can shed some light on it.

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: What's Alternate Ableton Live Mode on the midi pref for

Post by Shorties »

I found my answer in the APC 40 Communications Protocol Manual http://www.akaipro.com/extras/product/a ... _rev_1.pdf I didn't realize these were settings from the APC 40 itself, I for some reason assumed they were presets with Resolume. (Had I realized the presets were part of the hardware I would have submitted it to the hardware forum). In case anyone else searches for this though here is the difference right here:
Notes Regarding Generic Mode (Mode 0):
-[CLIP LAUNCH] buttons are momentary and should light the green LED when ON
-[CLIP STOP] buttons are momentary and should light its LED when ON
-[ACTIVATOR], [SOLO], [RECORD ARM] are toggle buttons and should light its LED when ON
-[TRACK SELECTION] buttons (1-8 + MASTER) are radio style and only one of the 9 buttons are ON at a time. When ON its LED should light. These buttons will NOT send out MIDI in generic mode for its state. These buttons dictate which one of nine banks the DEVICE CONTROL knobs and DEVICE CONTROL switches belong to. These knobs and switches will output on a different MIDI channel based on the current Track Selection (track 1 = MIDI channel 0, track 8 = MIDI channel 7, MASTER = MIDI channel 8). Upon pressing one of the Track Selection buttons, the current position of the 8
Mode
Identifier

Name
0x40
Generic Mode
0x41
Ableton Live Mode
0x42

Alternate Ableton Live Mode
APC40 COMMUNICATIONS PROTOCOL Device Control knobs will be sent.
-[CLIP/TRACK (1)], [DEVICE ON/OFF (2)], [ (3)], [ (4)] will be toggle style and will light its LED when ON
-[DETAIL VIEW (5)], [REC QUANTIZATION (6)], [MIDI OVERDUB (7)], [METRONOME (8)] will be momentary style and will light its LED when ON
-[SCENE LAUNCH] and [STOP ALL CLIPS] buttons are momentary buttons and will light its LED when ON
-TRACK CONTROL buttons are toggle buttons and will light its LED when ON
-TRACK CONTROL KNOBS and buttons are NOT banked in any way
-[PLAY], [STOP], [RECORD], [UP], [DOWN], [LEFT], [RIGHT], [SHIFT], [NUDGE+], [NUDGE-], [TAP TEMPO] are momentary buttons
-LED rings are all set to SINGLE style

Notes Regarding Ableton Live Mode (Mode 1):
- All buttons are momentary buttons
- Device control knobs and buttons are not banked within the APC40
- LED Rings around the knobs are controlled by the APC40 but can be updated by the Host
- All other LEDs are controlled by the Host

Notes Regarding Alternate Ableton Live Mode (Mode 2):
- All buttons are momentary buttons
- Device control knobs and buttons are not banked within the APC40
- All LEDs are controlled by the Host