Midi knob range keeps getting reset in Resolume Arena

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Midi knob range keeps getting reset in Resolume Arena

Post by Shorties »

I'm not sure if this should be in Hardware or here, but since I think its a Resolume issue I'm posting it here: When I assign a knob to the beat count of a clip it defaults to a range of 1-10000 so I'll change it to something like 1-30, and it works, but as soon as I change to another clip, it goes back to the default 1-10000 range even though in the "Application Midi Map" dialogue it still has my settings of 1-30 but it acts like its still 1-10000. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Ive tried it on application midi map on both the deck focus and layer focus and they all get the same results. Im using an APC 40 on Mac OSX 10.7.2 on Resolume Arena 4.0.0

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Midi knob range keeps getting reset in Resolume Arena

Post by Joris »

Just confirmed this, and this is indeed incorrect behavior. Thanks for the find!

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shorties »

goto10 wrote:Just confirmed this, and this is indeed incorrect behavior. Thanks for the find!
Awesome, well its good to know at least I wasn't doing something wrong. This is my first actual MIDI controller so I'm still getting use to setting it up.

Also somewhat related I keep trying to assign a Midi knob on the APC 40 to the transport, so I can use the midi feedback to see the current position in the clip, but I also want to be able to scrub the transport with the knob. When I first set this up it did work and scrubbed like I expected. So I then tried to assign all the knobs to the transport of an individual layer (By assigning them to the timeline in the layer transport controls up on the top half of the screen next to the clips) It worked at first but after assigning three it just started jumping from the first value to the last value when I turned the knob, and prevented me from actually scrubbing the clip. I was thinking this was some sort of interference or crossed midi channels or something else that I didn't really understand so I unassigned them all, but now I can't get any of the knobs to properly scrub a transport without it jumping between two values. Is this user error or is this another bug? Thanks :D

yugpmoc
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yugpmoc »

YES! I'm not alone! I also got it to work for a short time, and now after assigning things like scale and transport and position to various knobs I get the same behavior. They either go in one direction reguardless of the direction I turn the knob then get stuck at one extream or the other, or do nothing. I've tried every combination of settings I can think of.

yugpmoc
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yugpmoc »

More info, it's something to do with values that can be positive or negative. For instance, rotation. When I limit the range to one side ( positive or negative ) and don't go past 0, the knob works. Once I go past zero, it slams to the far end and stops.

I also notice I've got to give things like the scale knob a serious spin to get it off of zero. This makes fine controll very difficult.

It would be kinda nice if things stopped at their assigned limits too.