Couple problems with projection mapping and tall resolutions

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Couple problems with projection mapping and tall resolutions

Post by Shorties »

Hey so I've been working on a projection mapping project and I have come across two issues that seem less then ideal.

The first is that the mapping on the advanced output changes if you change a composition resolution. Now I get why this would be the case, If you were mapping something and then upgraded to a higher resolution you would want to have everything change accordingly so you wouldn't have to remap it. But in cases where someone is using a tall resolution and cutting it up into slices of layers, it makes it difficult to add extra slices to the project, because if I need to add, lets say, an extra 400pixels to the vertical resolution to make room for the new slices, I have to go back and adjust all of the other ones so they are unaffected by the composition resolution change. Just a "link parameters to aspect ratio" checkbox in the advanced output would fix this issue. And I know you guys are working on making layers output directly to specific slices, so this won't even really be that big of an issue if people have their mapping done through that in the future, but if some people still elect to have a single unusual resolution page of animations that are mapped out, being able to change the aspect ratio without changing the mapping would be a valuable feature to have.

And secondly, is the FPS supposed to be only on the Preview monitor? I mean thats fine if it is, but when you have a tall resolution, the canvas size of the preview monitor is very small, (Im not using previews for the project I'm working on right now, but I had it opened for the FPS counter), so small that the counter gets cut off, even though there would be room for it:

Yeah so those are the issues I've had, but otherwise, I am very happy with this software.

Stickygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Couple problems with projection mapping and tall resolut

Post by Stickygreen »

I love seeing some of the interesting problems people encounter using this program!

sorry i don't have any solutions for you...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Just a "link parameters to aspect ratio" checkbox in the advanced output would fix this issue.
Actually, I think that would screw up the mapping as well. From what you describe, it sounds like the entire mapping would need to shift down 400 pixels, and add an unmapped 400 lines at the top.

Anyway, as you mention, after adding the layer routing this is going to be a non-issue. Still I'm loving the word 'just' in the quoted sentence ;)

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shorties »

goto10 wrote:
Just a "link parameters to aspect ratio" checkbox in the advanced output would fix this issue.
Actually, I think that would screw up the mapping as well. From what you describe, it sounds like the entire mapping would need to shift down 400 pixels, and add an unmapped 400 lines at the top.
Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. In my case I have 22 slices, so when I wanted to extend my resolution I had to write down the parameters for each slice before changing the composition resolution, change the comp size, and then fix all the parameters to their previous values before they automatically changed to match the new aspect ratio. In the end, adding an extra "-400" to each of my clip's position values was less of a process then adjusting each of the slices.