MagicQ pc + Resolume Arena 4

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
albertospad
Is taking Resolume on a second date

MagicQ pc + Resolume Arena 4

Post by albertospad »

Hi there.

I can't control Resolume Arena 4 through MagicQ pc.
Anybody can help me?

Here's what I do:

I use magicQ pc on a Macbook Pro on Windows through Virtual Box.
Got the latest MagicQ release (10.5.4.0) and fixtures library updated (march 2012).

I run Resolume on a mac pro

The two machines are linked with a hub with straight cat5 cables and they ping correctly from the command line.
They actually don't from MagicQ command line (the manual says to write "ping ip. address" to test connections but there is no match that way, but I have the same problem with a tird macbook on the same local net wich run Wysiwyg visualiser but it correctly works).

By the way. From MQ I patch the mediaserver on universe 1 - artnet 0, I enable it, from View system - media I enable the mediaserver and specify the ip address of Resolume machine. From Resolume (preference-dmx) I enable artnet dmx, I say artnet 0, universe 1.
the dmx autopatch is the same as the patch on MQ

Still from the viw system - media the status don't change to "connected" and there is no connection between the machines.

What am I doing wrong?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: MagicQ pc + Resolume Arena 4

Post by Joris »

Are the art net signals arriving on the computer running Resolume?

albertospad

Post by albertospad »

yes. it does. If I ping, from both computer, everything looks allright.
Plus I have no problem controlling Arkaos Media Master on the same computer with the same network settings..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Give us a few days to talk to Chamsys, and then hopefully we can sort this out.

albertospad

Post by albertospad »

Thank you very much!

indyLD

Post by indyLD »

This sound suspicous, you should be able to ping from the MagicQ command line. Unless you are running WYSIWYG via ArtNet, then the visualiser may well still work using the proprietory visualiser connect, not Artnet. It sounds like you aren't sending ArtNet from the MagicQ software, rather than generally if your Arkaos is receiving it.

It could be an issue with the way MagicQ is running on your machine, but basically they way I see it, if you cannot ping from the command line (MagicQ one, that is) then that's the place to start looking. Check that your Setup / View Settings / Network IPs are the correct ones in MagicQ, as it's doesn't usually read this from the computer system in my experience. This is where you set the IP for connection, the Media area is where you setup the server for functions such as MSEX and CITP thumbnails etc. which Resolume doesn't support. The key is to understand which bits of the MagicQ setup deal with the connection.

Until you've fixed the ArtNet bit, I wouldn't get too hung up on the Media side of things in MagicQ, you should be able to control Resolume via an ArtNet stream, regardless of if the MagicQ "knows" that you are connected to a media server. Unlike Arkaos, Resolume is controlled as a dumb slave as it doesn't support those other features that Hippotizer, Arkoas etc. do. You treat Resolume like any other fixture and it just obeys DMX over ArtNet, according to the .hed file and DMX Map.

In the past, I've had issues getting Resolume to respond if I patch anything over than ArtNet 0, start address 001, but you seem to be starting with that.

deepvisual
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by deepvisual »

I had same problem
you have to enable artnet in Chamsys.