BeatLoopr midi mapping issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

BeatLoopr midi mapping issues

Post by mowgli »

I'm trying to map the BeatLoopr buttons to my Behringer BCR and I'm finding a lot of undocumented behaviours that are making the job difficult to say the least.

After a lot of fiddling I've discovered that I can't map 8 buttons from the BCR sending different CC's to the 8 buttons on the BeatLoopr, as the different buttons on BeatLoopr switch on depending on the 0-127 value sent by the CC independently of whether this CC was mapped to the off button, 4 beats button or any of the others.

Annoying as this is I've changed my BCR's settings so that I have 8 buttons with the same CC assigned to them(channel3, 17) sending different values between 0 and 127. This are my findings after doing this:

off button=value between 0 and 9
4 beats =value between 10 and 27
2 beats = value between 28 and 45
1 beat = value between 46 and 63
1/2 beat = value ??
1/4 beat = value 127
1/3 beat =??

To figure this out has taken a while and it seems completely illogical. Bearing in mind that the possible values sent from a cc range from 0-127 ie there are 128 possibilities, I would've assumed that the buttons would've worked with increments of 16 (128÷8=16).

In any case why is this not documented?
I've found similar issues with the layer autopilot buttons.

Can someone please shed some light on how all this works?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: BeatLoopr midi mapping issues

Post by Joris »

It'll work with separate buttons when you send Midi Note values.

You can use the cc method to map a rotary or fader to a series of buttons.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

That's what I thought but mapping to a knob doesn't scroll through the buttons in order, sometimes it doesn't work at all and others it jumps randomly from one button to another

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Ah yes, this is a known issue: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9107&p=34301&hilit ... opr#p34301

For your case, setting your BCR to send notes and not CCs will save you a lot of trouble.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I've now spent a while changing the cc's to notes on the BCR's buttons and I'm getting very strange behaviours regarding operation and midi feedback.
I've mapped the following on application Midi map/layer:
off=1/C0
4 beat=1/C#0
2 beat=1/D0
1 beat= 1/D#0

all buttons on the BCR are set to toggle- off and are sending a velocity off 100

If I press the beat Loopr buttons on resolume's interface, the lights on the buttons of the BCR operate as expected ie they light up correspondingly with the interface, but when I press the buttons on the BCR the midi feedback goes down the pan and I get random buttons lighting up.
As an example:

start with "off " button lit up on BCR and Resolume
I press "1 beat" on BCR = Resolume lights up "1 beat" and BCR lights up "1 beat"
I then press "2 beat" on BCR = Resolume and BCR light up the correct button
I then press "off" on BCR = Resolume lights up "off" and BCR lights up both "off" and "2 beat"
I the press "1 beat" on BCR = Resolume lights up "1beat" and do does BCR
I then press "2 beat" on BCR and everything works as expected
I then press "1 beat" on BCR and everything works as expected
I then press "off" on BCR and Resolume lights up "off" but BCR lights up "off" AND "2 beat"

Any help greatly appreciated

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I have a feeling that there are residual mappings left on Resolume's midi mapping that I cannot delete. They don't seem to affect operation but they affect Midi feedback. I say this because after a lot of testing I've discovered that switching Midi Output on and off on Resolume's preferences lights on and off a button on the BCR which is not mapped to anything on Resolume...but used to!
I think I had this issue before and I resolved it by resetting the midi map on Resolume but at this stage of creating my midi mapping settings I really can't afford to start again!

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I've changed the BCR's "2 beat" button to send 1/E1 and everything seems to work normally now but this needs resolving as now I have a bunch of Midi notes that are unusable

Joris

Post by Joris »

Could you contact us via mail with your comp file and some of the notes that are causing issues?