very low frame rate (FPS)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
timdas
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

very low frame rate (FPS)

Post by timdas »

Hello
I have the following configuration:
Intel i5
8 Gb RAM
SATA HDD
Onboard ATI Radeon HD4250
PCI-e ATI Radeon HD 6800 Series Eyefinity 6 Edition with 6 Minidisplay outputs
ATI Catalyst 12.3
Win7 64 bits + Resolume 4 Arena

i use the VGA out from the onboard videocard for the primary display and 5 of the outputs from Eyefinity card connected to 1024x768 Videoprojectors in extended desktop mode.
I have disabled "Global effects and blend modes" from Preferences and I put all the 5 displays in 5 slices from advance mode.
Even when I use a 640x480 or a 4000x800 composition, when i use the Resolume's internal demo videos (MOV in 640x480 resolution) or even drag&Drop Pictures i get the same low frame rate output around 4 FPS!!
I have read that it's important to use a SSD hard disk but in the Win7's Task Manager the hdd (including processor and RAM) are in low usage
Please help me with a solution.
Thank you

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: very low frame rate (FPS)

Post by cosmowe »

Hey timdas,
can you make a test without using your onboard graficcard....and post your resuts here.

Greets
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

you should use your pce-e card as primary card (resolume interface/windows)
the onboard card won't work as far as i know (got a system with 4290 onboard)... it only works with the amd fx1 boards and an AMD APU.
but as i see you got 6 outputs on the Card, so 5 output-screens should be possible if the Adapters are the correct ones ;) (should be active or so)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

timdas
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by timdas »

I'll try the modifications and i'll get back to you.
Thank you!

kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by kmifflin »

I've had similar issue with a HD7970. An it only happen if I have vertical sync enabled. Try setting vertical sync to never in Catalyst under Gaming Preference. When I use 4 projector outputs each at @60htz and 1 foh with vertical sync enabled with a composition of 7680x1080 I get 20fps not the expected 60fps, but with vertical sync disabled I get 70 to 90 fps. I've also discovered that you need to use an aero theme in windows 7.

Hope this helps

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

7680x1080 without an ssd even if you use the DXV codec...it would be a miracle if you could hold constant 60 fps.

What kind of clips are you playing with this setup? 4x1080p 30fps DXV simultaneous?

Yes..you need the aero theme to prevent a tearing effect on your outputs. In my case I had a better framerate and smoother playback without the aero theme...but also a massive tearing problem..so back to aero.
I used a HD6850....now I upgraded to a GTX580...now I can't see a difference between aero on or off....even disabling Global effects and blend modes doesn't make a difference...so this is my card to rock.

Here I made some tests...but hold in your mind...I tested with Resolume Avenue 3.3.2
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8441

When you disable vertical sync in your Catalyst options...what's the sideeffect beside the better framerate? tearing?

Greetz
cosmowe

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

7680x1080 without an ssd even if you use the DXV codec...it would be a miracle if you could hold constant 60 fps.
I use a 4 drive RAID stripe of standard 7200 rpm drives with memory cache option enable on the RAID controller for the playback the content and a SSD drive for the system drive.
What kind of clips are you playing with this setup? 4x1080p 30fps DXV simultaneous?
Some shows require custom backgrounds that I create in either Motion (which is painfully slow to work in at those resolutions - I really need to pick up a book on aftereffects) and Cinema 4D which I'm in love with. At 7680x1080 and then I overlay 4 layers of 1080 content. If I need imag live in the room I always use a Pulse or DiVentix II to PIP it in. If a live camera feed is require for a delay room or webcast I use either a Deck Link or Intensity Pro Card
When you disable vertical sync in your Catalyst options...what's the sideeffect beside the better framerate? tearing?
With vertical sync disabled sometimes I get tearing on just one out of four projectors.

I have done some testing showing that with vertical sync enabled
1 output is 60fps
2 outputs is 40 fps
3 outputs is 20 fps

I think there is some sort of bug in the advanced output causing this.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Olé kmifflin,

Raid: Raid-0 , Raid-5? Did you make some tests using the ssd drive for playback?

Clips: Are you using the DXV codec?

Content resolution: You are using one clip with an 7680x1080px resolution...+ 4x 1080p on top....did I understand you right?

greetz
cosmowe

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Raid: Raid-0 , Raid-5? Did you make some tests using the ssd drive for playback?
Raid 0 - I bring a back drive instead of concerning myself with redundancy. I never really did any testing with the SSD as the media drive. I love having it as the OS drive that I can quickly format it needed, and having a 4TB drive system is more attractive to me then a 64GB SSD
Clips: Are you using the DXV codec?
Yes all DXV
Content resolution: You are using one clip with an 7680x1080px resolution...+ 4x 1080p on top....did I understand you right?
Yes that right.

I feel like I might have accidentally hijacked this thread.

Sorry timdas - I hope my earlier suggestions helps

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

7680x1080px dxv clip<< ever thought of that this could be the reason for a low framerate? ;) 8-)