Still no smooth playback

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Still no smooth playback

Post by dbassix »

First of all, great work with all the improvements in resolume. But:

I can't get resolume to play really smooth files. For VJing in clubs it's ok, but I have also coporate events where really smooth and slow content needs to be displayed.

Now, when playing these clips, framerate is accurate at 59-60fps but the videos are stuttering, you can even see the progress-slider jumping back while the video stutters. All clips are of course DXV and 30fps.

When playing the same clips in quicktime, everything is fine, so it has to be a problem with resolume. There is even no advanced warping or anything else. Just one clip 1920x1080, DXV no audio, 30fps in a clear composition.

Hardware specs:

Win7 64bit professional
8GB Ram
Intel 2700 CPU
120GB SSD
Nvidia GTX560 (ATI 6850 on 2. System)

I do really like the great work but first of all, a mediaserver should run videos smooth without stuttering.

Cheers.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Still no smooth playback

Post by cosmowe »

word'up! ;)
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

VJYosh
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJYosh »

I say Aman to that! same problem here...no entirly smooth

asperi

Post by asperi »

I have similar specs to dbassix. Have you tried Disabling global effects in R4 preferences? The power of your comp you shoulc not need to do that but worth a try. This is the file format I use and get smooth playback on my 2007 Macbook Pros :P
Quicktime h.264 1920x1080 progressive 8.8mbps bit rate, frame bending on (this helps... I use CS5.5 to render).. 30 fps, no audio.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

I'm pretty sure that smooth playback looks a little different for some of us vj's ;) You know what I mean?
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

asperi

Post by asperi »

True.
But theres just no going back to 320x240 : P
Here is another post on the topic.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9317&start=10

I just wish there was a way to control bit rate of DXV - I would love to use it but it makes for way huge files and does not play back smooth (at least for me) at 1080- basically 70% of my stuff is 1080..

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Maybe change the program you render out to DXV with?

I know several times I have to switch between my droplet/Compressor/After Effects depending on the video sent to me by artist.

Rendering video for Max Vangelli & AN21, I have to use Compressor itself. Everytime I use After Effects or my droplet, I get video glitches and choppy playback inside Resolume only. Odd, maybe it's the way actual developer encodes the video (often happens when converting MP4 or H264 encoded videos). When I render in Compressor, works just fine (even though my droplet is created from Compressor)

asperi

Post by asperi »

Interesting.. I use Adobe CS5- premiere and media encoder.. I could try Compressor, that gave you options on setting the DXV bit rate?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

DXV does not allow you to set the bitrate, not in Compressor or any other program. This is done by design. The bigger filesizes in comparison to H264 are caused by not using temporal compression.

dbassix

Post by dbassix »

And i'd say, it's not caused by dxv codec, cause all dxv encoded clips are just running fine and absolutely smooth in quicktime.