Squeezed Typo

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Squeezed Typo

Post by mfo »

Heya

And another one, this time its is not a bug.
This is not urgent, nevertheless it would be nice to see some usability improvements here - to smoothen out the workflow and make Resolume an even stronger tool.

Since a long time I'm struggeling with the squeezed typo in some input fields in Arena's interface.
Here are a few examples:

As there is a lot of unused space after some of these fields, I wonder if you guys could give the input fields a bit more of space (or make the field's width relative!).
I understand that the "empty space" marked in the screen shouldn't be filled up with stuff completely. But to have a bit more space usable would be really nice.

Here the faders could maybe release a bit of space (like 20px)?

Of course I understand that other people use all 4 potential columns, so the transport controls are much smaller. Thus relative input field width can be a good thing?!

Anyway, thanks for your good work and the great tool, Arena is!
Best,
Marcel

p.s. Btw where the heck can I edit my forum signature??

bildwerk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Squeezed Typo

Post by bildwerk »

p.s. Btw where the heck can I edit my forum signature??
On the top of the forum: User control panel/Tab profile/Edit Signature :shock:

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hi Marcel

The name field in the clip tab is tied to the maximum space available for the name field in the thumbnail area. Names longer than this will be squeezed. We'll look into how we can make this more elegant, but that won't be on Resolume 4.

The input field space for parameters is a trade-off between space for the slider or space for the number. We reckon that in the majority of cases, sliders are used to manipulate values, and peope will only look at the numbers when precise work is needed.

Resizing when you are editing values (like in your screenshots) is unnessecary, and probably would only make editing the number more difficult, becasue positioning would change with every keypress. Also, we're kind of assuming that you know what you want to input.

I hope that explains things a bit.

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

goto10 wrote: The name field in the clip tab is tied to the maximum space available for the name field in the thumbnail area. Names longer than this will be squeezed. We'll look into how we can make this more elegant, but that won't be on Resolume 4.
I guessed the connection to the thumb tabs and it is perfectly understandable.
but at least during editing, when the cursor is inside the title field, it could get bigger and use more space? Because i edit the names to fit the clip tab only, and the start of that process, editing a long name in a small field, is kind of uncomfortable.
goto10 wrote: The input field space for parameters is a trade-off between space for the slider or space for the number. We reckon that in the majority of cases, sliders are used to manipulate values, and peope will only look at the numbers when precise work is needed.
Sure and how numbers are displayed is fine. It's again only the actual editing being uncomfy.
Maybe here the input field could get bigger too during editing (overlay the other graphics, so the layout doesn't jump)?

bildwerk wrote:On the top of the forum: User control panel/Tab profile/Edit Signature :shock:
Heya Vienna ;)
How could i not see that thing ...