Arena crop tool

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Arena crop tool

Post by vj granda »

Hello, I don't like how the crop tool works, It's very unusable for me.
when I add a crop, it jumps to the output transformation screen, instead of the input screen.
I do a triangle, and when I go to the transform tab, the triangle is recognized like a quad, not like a triangle.
I have a lot of triangles stuff and I want to mapp it on a trianglular surface, and with the crop is not possible...
Imo the crop tool must have the same treatment as the slice. I need to crop a triangle on the input tab and transform it in the output transformation tab.

I was hoping triangles and polygons a la "Make a circle" style....

What do you think???

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Arena crop tool

Post by Joris »

This basically comes down that you want Arena to be more like Madmapper. The history of these softwares is different though.

Madmapper was originally developed by 1024 as a tool to make their projection mapping jobs simpler. You can really see in the interface and workflow that they did this a lot, and the tools are really custom built for warping to strange shapes with a projector. It's an awesome piece of work.

The advanced output Arena was originally developed as a special edition of Avenue 3 for EyeSupply to make their LED pixel mapping jobs simpler. This is why the focus is more on working with multiple outputs, rectangular shapes and pixel accurate positioning. If you've done any pixel maps, you'll know what I'm talking about.

As Arena progressed, the advanced output evolved to a tool for projection mapping, similar to how MadMapper can be used for LED pixel mapping as well. You can really tell the difference in the original approach though, and there's no denying that in specific cases, one tool will perform better than the other. We're enjoying the fact that developments on each side is pushing the other forward, and in the end you as a user reap the benefits of this.

Somewhere down the line we'll probably think of some clever ways to allow for non-rectangular, non-warped slices as well. For the time being though, I hope this explains where we're coming from.

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

Thanks Joris, I understand your point of view.

Frischvergiftung

Post by Frischvergiftung »

theres still no triangular slice option in arena to this day?

najrock

Post by najrock »

pixel mapping large LED walls with arena is a breeze tho... i find it much faster than madmapper in a festival situation...

the no undo is maybe the most obnoxious thing I can think of not having tho...

Frischvergiftung

Post by Frischvergiftung »

Yeah thats so weird, why no undo?

gradek

Post by gradek »

There is no triangle slide option, however you can make a rectangular slice, and then crop/mask it with a triangle. When you first create a mask shape it has four points. Select one point and then delete it, and voila you have a triangle mask.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-03-06 15.12.36.png
Screenshot 2014-03-06 15.12.36.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 13033 times
Triangle Mask in Resolume
Triangle Mask in Resolume
Screenshot 2014-03-06 15.12.52.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 13033 times
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu