What is the best practice for DXV

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

What is the best practice for DXV

Post by kmifflin »

DXV is probably the main reason I've switched to Resomule as my main software for playback. I love the concept of the GPU doing the work and I always maintain a high fps do matter what I though at it. However I find that converting client files from whatever they give me. Usually mp4 or a mov. The video quality is reduced. I get a shift in the colours, small text becomes unclear, and sometimes a get tearing in the video. This only happens when I convert content. If I create the content say in c4d I get a perfect results.

What is the best way to convert any content to DXV?
Is anyone else experiencing this?
So far I've tried
Compressor
Mpegstream clip
QuickTime pro

At my studio I use Mac's however I use pc's to playback on shows. It would be nice to have a good solution for both.

My dream would be to have resolume import media and take care of the transcoding.

the_psychologist

Re: What is the best practice for DXV

Post by the_psychologist »

I do everything in After Effects these days. Even basic editing is fine if you learn the program. Plus, you will add to your value if you master the program. It's crazy powerful for content creation.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Even just converting an mp4 to DXV mov you use ae?

the_psychologist

Post by the_psychologist »

yes. i have an "edit bay" saved in AE where i do all my clips. they all end up at 720p DXV, varying frame rates. i have not found a better (and more valuable) tool in the last two years of VJing.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

So I have to say I surprised that only one member commented on this. Like I said, I find that Converting to DXV seems to cause a lot of artifacts. Either I'm doing something wrong or no one seems to care.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

I never really render actual video but i would use AE to convert everything.

Why don't you post some still images of the footage and we can see what the artifaks are like.

Have you searched the forum to see some other threads?
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

Basic

Post by Basic »

having another think too, if you are converting mp4 into dxv you are re compressing, compressed footage (actual video footage) so artifacts will tend to happen.
If I create the content say in c4d I get a perfect results
This will always work fine.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Yes when creating content I generally don't have colour/black issues or tearing. However 90% of my daily work is on corporate events that have their own content developers. In these cases even if I suggest that the files be created with a specific codec they still in all different types. That is why converting them is the only option I have.

I've started looking at AE to convert then files. So far I don't see any tearing problems, however I still a shift in the colour space, and the blacks look grey. And I see an over all noise across the video.

Basic

Post by Basic »

Yes when creating content I generally don't have colour/black issues or tearing. However 90% of my daily work is on corporate events that have their own content developers. In these cases even if I suggest that the files be created with a specific codec they still in all different types. That is why converting them is the only option I have.
Yeah i know how you feel ive had this before and it's a pain, be more pressing and try and get it the way you like. I would maybes explain the reason and show them samples.

I mean say you shot the footage yourself, captured and then rendered i don't think you would have the issues you are describing but I may be wrong (this is due to me rarely using video footage now a days anyways).
I've started looking at AE to convert then files. So far I don't see any tearing problems, however I still a shift in the colour space, and the blacks look grey. And I see an over all noise across the video.
I think most re-encoding will be the same regardless of workflow i think what you have mentioned above about the content creators. Again I would maybes post some still images if possible so we can see the issues.

I'm sure there are some other similar threads out there which i would look for.

Good luck too and I hope you can get their content creators to see sense :D

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Here's a compare from h264 source converted to DXV using Livid Batch Export Utility. They're different certainly but not much and I would say the DXV looks more vibrant. DXV is playing in MPC and H264 is playing in Quicktime Player. Source file courtesy of http://www.beeple-crap.com/
Attachments
beeple_h264_dxv_compare.png
beeple_h264_dxv_compare.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 10857 times