FPS drops with every new screen added

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
robbo321
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

FPS drops with every new screen added

Post by robbo321 »

Hi.

I´m on the demo version of resolume avenue 4.

I get 12 fps when added 4 screens. And it doesnt matter if videos are running, composition size, or amount of layers. Its at 12fps when i do nothing and added 4 screens.

With every new Screen added, the fps drop. With only one screen fps is allright. I need to get to at least 25 with my 4 screens.

I´ve tried different settings in the Nvidia setup program for performance enhancing, turning on and off vertical sync. I just need to run my clips, not using any fx or other bells and whistles.

any experience with Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 or recommendations in general? Before i try out some other software.

Thanks for the help!!

Win7
Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
SSD 128
7200 - 2TB
8 GB ram

the_psychologist
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: FPS drops with every new screen added

Post by the_psychologist »

My understanding is that this is just "how it works". For example, my Alienware laptop might run a comp at 50fps with one projector, but two projectors = 24 fps. I sometimes use two different outputs, and sometimes one output that gets split w/ an hdmi splitter. With the latter approach, you are getting the best frame rate out of resolume due to using only one output/slice and splitting the video after the fact. but there will be tiny lag if you're precise like me. Plus, with the splitter approach, you can't have 2-4 unique video feeds, only the one master feed.

robbo321

Post by robbo321 »

hi, thanks!

ok so the only way for me to get the fps up is to use a hdmi splitter. It seems a waste since I got my 4 outputs from the grapics card.. and expensive.

When you say "a tiny lag", is the lag when you start the clip or how does this lag behave?

Another thing, for me, was that turning the aero theme off, lowered the fps, so i run with it on, which gave an additional 3 fps. So im up to 15fps now on with my 4 screens.

I ran 4 instances of quicktime player with different videos on the different screens, and that ran smoothely.. ?

Any further help on upping the fps is thankful. and thanks again mr psychologist!

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

how do you connect the 4 screens?
matrox or extra graphic card?
i can only see geforce-models with 2xdvi, hdmi and display port, and normally you can't use the hdmi with the other 3 outputs....

maybe check your 3d settings in the nvidia control panel!
multi gpu should be on compatible mode, v-sync should be off!

the next thing which may be a problem: last setup i used splashtop (vnc like app for ios...) to fit the screens.
anyways... as long as my splashtop-client on my pc was running, i got poor performance (20 instead of 40fps or so).

I got an gtx285 and extra graphic cards/matrox and used up to 8 (different output) screens with 1024x768 and it was still smooth with up to 3 layers playing!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

robbo321

Post by robbo321 »

Allright so I choose one of my 4 outputs from the nvidia geforce gtx 670, as primary screen where i run the interface and connected one of my 4 screens to the motherboard.

Now it runs great at 75fps!

What I wonder now is if the video connected through my motherboard the (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000) is that processed by the gpu since i run the dxv codec? or the cpu, perhaps it doesnt matter cause now it works. :)

The vertical sync on or off doesent seem to do any difference

So if anyone is interested this is what i used for my build:

Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 Ghz
Nvidia Geforce gtx 670
MK Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H z77, ATX
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1866MHz/Cl9/VENGEANCE
PSU CORSAIR TX 850W V2 /80+ Bronze
SSD 128GB A-Data SATA3 2,5", MLC, SP9000
2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm
Kab ATX CM Elite 334U

Thanks for the support! I´m gonna put the system to the test to see how it holds up.

bildwerk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by bildwerk »

the card that displays the interface does the rendering.