how to make a smooth record on resolume?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
NexusVisions
Is taking Resolume on a second date

how to make a smooth record on resolume?

Post by NexusVisions »

i'm recording some loops on resolume but it's not smooth, they are short loops on ntsc resolution, maybe render this loops in Ae makes them look better? or record with fraps? which is the best solution for record? thanks so much in advanced.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: how to make a smooth record on resolume?

Post by Basic »

Its been discussed a lot and don't remember exactly what the solution was. I think you can use fraps but internal recording in Resolume is another kettle of fish. have a quick search :)

You could also record to an external hard disk and then re-render from there at a later time.

Are you wanting to do this whilst in a live environment?
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

jbarro

Post by jbarro »

http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/

Since resolume 4 was released it implements syphon input/output by default. I recommend you to use this app, which is free and let you record audio, video, stills in many different format and codec. It doesnt affect too much the performance, just the temperature drops 20 degrees on the processor, at least on my hackintosh.

cheers.

NexusVisions

Post by NexusVisions »

Basic wrote:Its been discussed a lot and don't remember exactly what the solution was. I think you can use fraps but internal recording in Resolume is another kettle of fish. have a quick search :)

You could also record to an external hard disk and then re-render from there at a later time.

Are you wanting to do this whilst in a live environment?
thanks! that's what i though, fortunately i dont need it for a live performance.

HearAndKnow
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by HearAndKnow »

What's better? The internal recording function of Avenue 4 or the syphon recorder?

Hello, I just started working with avenue. I'm a bit irritated, that a external recording app like syphon recorder could lead to better results than the origin internal function. Is that really right?

I've just noticed. That the internal recording function has issues: If you use Avenu’s internal record function and you have not enough internal memory, the video recording stops, but the audio recording continues and you get no hint that there is a problem. The button shows until you restart Avenu “Working..” and you can’t click stop. Unfortunally there is no hint shown, that there is a problem with your memory. I found the hint in Avenue’s log file (Resolume Avenue 4 log.txt: “Unable to allocate enough memory, recording will be finalized!”).

Does someone work intensely on the recording subject and can give my tips?

Thanks in advance! alexander

P.S. I'm working with Avenue 4.1.1 on Mac Os X 10.6.8 with 16 Gig internal memory.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm a bit irritated, that a external recording app like syphon recorder could lead to better results than the origin internal function. Is that really right?
You're comparing two similar features with different purposes. The Resolume recorder is a live sampling tool, which is meant to record a short sequence of your main output and then bring it back in the mix. This way you don't have to keep moving a fader to have a certain look. It's *not* a full fledged video production tool.
If you use Avenu’s internal record function and you have not enough internal memory, the video recording stops, but the audio recording continues and you get no hint that there is a problem. The button shows until you restart Avenu “Working..” and you can’t click stop.
This is a bug, and we'd appreciate it if you could contact us directly.

HearAndKnow

Post by HearAndKnow »

Great, thanks for your feedback and clarification (for what the internal record function is for).
https://hearandknow.wordpress.com/

Hardware: iMac (27-INCH, MID 2011, 16 Gig RAM)

Christoph
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Christoph »

I've been trying to get a smooth record out of avenue for the last days without any success. my problems are that as soon as i hit the record button the framerate drops and clips are stuttering and their movement isn't smooth anymore (at least not always). the second problem is that recording often stops after one or two minutes, even when my memory isn't full (i have a look at the resource monitor and everything looks stable), in other cases i can record 20 minutes or more without stopping, just with stuttering. this seems to be an old problem on resolume, however i'd appreciate every help or suggestions in this case.

we would like to record a studio mix of 70 minutes and create a video with the dj- and vj-mix. all the clips are 1280x720 and in dxv-codec. i'm running avenue 3.3.3 on windows 7 64bit. in this case i don't play in an live environment, so my priority is on smooth recording.

my system specs are intel i7-2630QM @ 2GHz, 8GB ram, GeForce GTX 460M, Patriot TorqX2 128GB SSD + Hitachi 750GB HD, Akai MPD32 Midi Controller and external 1920x1080 monitor via hdmi (so with the laptop monitor there are two 1920x1080 monitors)

here are a few thoughts, maybe someone can help me with it:

1. I read somewhere that you should deactivate some settings in the nvidia control panel to make avenue run smoother, however i don't know the best settings there. i tried to deactivate v-sync and antialiasing settings, most of the other settings i set to performance instead of quality but i don't really know about things like anisotropic filtering, texture filtering, triple buffering or threaded optimization... so if anyone knows the best performance settings i'd be happy about that.

2. at the moment i'm running everything, which means windows, avenue, clip loading and clip recording on the ssd. do you think it could make a difference if i install resolume on the second internal hard drive or load my clips from there?

3. could it make a difference if i install resolume 4? so are there any changes in the recording machine that could influence this issues?

4. in this thread you mentioned syphon recorder - this sounds great, but is just for osx. so does anyone know about an equal software for windows?

5. any other ideas what i could try?

so, this became a pretty long text but i've been sitting at this problem for a pretty long time =)

greetings from austria!

edit:
6. i don't think it could make a real difference, but would it make sense for this topic to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb ram?

BASF

Post by BASF »

Hi,
I´m wondering with the same question; How I could record my output without this laggy effect?

I would like to play some clips with resolume and record it. When I use the rec-button in resolume it is always gettin laggy.
I dont use the recorded video in live or right away or how you say it.. I just would like have my session recorded so I can edit it later.
So I tried to find out the solution and I came to this kind of instruction.
Basic wrote:You could also record to an external hard disk and then re-render from there at a later time.
Sooo to the question; Could someone tell me what I need to do to record into an external disk?

sorry for this dummy question and thanks in advance :)

(my setup: resolume3 & MBP)

HearAndKnow

Post by HearAndKnow »

Hello,

I had similar problem. I figured out, that you should use something like Syphon Recorder and not the internal recording function of resolume. For more details read my blog post: http://hearandknow.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... sic-video/

Best regards! :)
https://hearandknow.wordpress.com/

Hardware: iMac (27-INCH, MID 2011, 16 Gig RAM)