Audio glitches

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Audio glitches

Post by Rene »

There are sometimes glitches/ticks/cracks in the audio when I trigger or stop an audio clip. Even if the clip is audio only!

Is there anything besides the buffer size I could try?

The audio files are uncompressed PCM 44.1kHz 16bit aiffs.

kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Audio glitches

Post by kmifflin »

What sound card are you using? Is it the on board or a professional card?
Why isn't increasing the buffer an option?

Rene

Post by Rene »

kmifflin wrote:What sound card are you using? Is it the on board or a professional card?
I tried with the onboard of the MacBook Pro and also with an external pro card.
kmifflin wrote:Why isn't increasing the buffer an option?
It is an option, but does not change anything. So I'm looking for other options.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

I find increasing the buffer size to 1024, then saving, exiting and reopening resolume can solve the issues your having.

Rene

Post by Rene »

Kmifflin, thanks for your hints. I just tried with the on board soundcard and 1024 buffer size. Even after a restart of Arena, the issue persists. I'll try with the external soundcard next week.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Not sure if ts would matter but have you tried looking at the audio midi setup app in you utilities folder. I would make sure that your settings match. ie 44100 or 48000 and 16 bit

Rene

Post by Rene »

kmifflin, yes I've also checked my audio settings. Everything is set to 44.100kHz 16bit.

I think everything boils down to performance when reading data from the disk after I trigger AV clips. I see that the glitches become worse, when Resolume's frame rate goes down (when I play a lot of other video clips for example). Also if FPS in Resolume are between 15 and 25 there is a noticeable lag after triggering (in beat snap 4 bar mode).

Does Resolume 'pre-laod' clips when I trigger them, and the countdown of the beatsnap starts?

Because I really want to solve this issue (lags and glitches are a show-stoper right now), I set up a RAMDrive (sounds like something from the 90's!). And glitches are very rare now, also FPS is always around 60 with 3 layers of 720p DXV footage.

So it seems there is a link between FPS and glitches/lag.

Who else uses the audio features of Resolume, and what are your experiences? FPS? Do you use SSD, HDD? RAID0, etc.?

Rene

Post by Rene »

Okay, still no success. :geek:

Now I converted all videos to DXV 540p, all audios are AIFF 44.1kHz, 16-bit uncompressed. All files used in the composition are on a RAM-disk.

Even with this setup (I get 60fps, CPU usage is always below 30% ) there are still glitches, less often, but still there. :(

The logfiles says (very often) 'No Samples buffered when trying to get audio' - is there anything I can do against this?

Please, can somebody of the support team have a look on this?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That error means that Resolume is trying to buffer more often than it's actually getting samples. Have you tried decreasing the buffer size?

Rene

Post by Rene »

Hi Joris,

thanks for having a look on that!

I just tried to decrease the buffer. I get this error even with a buffersize set to 32 (but then I can hear when I scroll ;) ) So 128 seems to be the best solution right now.

Does the soundcard influence such glitches? (will try tomorrow with an external one)
Would it help to convert to WAV?