To Mask A Circle, I have to...do something....??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

To Mask A Circle, I have to...do something....??

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Please help me, I have a rather big problem which needs to be solved rather quickly...
I have to do some gigs coming week VJ'ing on a circular screen, now I've tried the bezier circle in the advanced output module of Arena (4.0.1) but when I send circles or rounded forms to the output the image is really distorted, and there is no way I can adjust that by hand using the points in the slice :(

Besides, I can't scale it up or down if the circle would be to big, or to small for the screen, so next try was creating a PNG with a transparent hole in the middle put it in a separate layer with the opacity setting on "dodge" this works rather nicely but when I use my FX the layer is obsolete and the whole screen is used, not just the circular area :|

So then the brilliant Idea came to look if I can use my PNG in the advanced output module so the main output has to go thru my PNG and everything outside the circle is invisible, but this doesn't seems to exist.by now I'm starting to get worried because my ideas on "how to" are drying up...
So anyone who has done this before, or has ideas how to make this work?
I would be very, very gratefull! :D

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: To Mask A Circle, I have to...do something....??

Post by Joris »

There are two ways to go about this actually.

First of all, update to 4.1.2, this version has masking and cropping in the advanced output, so you can just create a circular mask.

Secondly, since Resolume 4, you can put your mask *after* any effects and transformations. Simply drag it to the bottom of the stack. You can check the section on masking in the manual for more info on how to go about this. It describes your user case exactly.

Hope that helps!

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Thank you, I will try that later today, when my coffee drops in :mrgreen:
question about upgrading, do I have to redo al my FX, decks and settings? Or does Resolume imports the files from previous versions?

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'll try to shoot some footage the coming days/weeks from my setup, the gig etc. as you guys requested for your promomovies!