[solved] DXV preserve alpha not working in MPEGStreamclip

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

[solved] DXV preserve alpha not working in MPEGStreamclip

Post by Rene »

This might not be the correct place to discuss, as I'm not sure if this is related to MPEGStreamclip or DXV itself (seems to be a MPEGStreamclip issue)-

I cannot export DXV files with alpha channel in MPEGStreamclip. This was possible before. I guess it's broken since OSX 10.8. The original file is a ProRes4444 960x540 exported from Motion. If I select the DXV codec in the export window, I can enable 'preserve' alpha in the advanced DXV settings. Then I press okay. When I reopen the advanced settings, it's again on 'ignore' alpha. An no alpha channel is exported :(

I tried with QT7, same input file, and if I choose 'preserve' alpha in the advanced settings in QT7, close the advanced settings, and reopen, the alpha setting is still 'preserve'. Also the final file contains the alpha channel. (so I guess it's a MPEGStreamclip issue?)

Could please somebody who uses MPEGStreamclip on 10.8.2 try and confirm this? Maybe this also happens with other converters?
Last edited by Rene on Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: DXV preserve alpha not working in MPEGStreamclip

Post by Joris »

As far as I know, this has never worked, and seems to be an issue with how MPEG Streamclip handles extra codec options. https://docs.google.com/a/resolume.com/ ... xahpsf907o

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: DXV preserve alpha not working in MPEGStreamclip

Post by Rene »

Thanks Joris, I was not aware of this limitation. Also I really should RTFM.

Could you say anything on Compressor? I thought about buying it, but read that it's crap, a lot of crashes, not reliable.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: [solved] DXV preserve alpha not working in MPEGStreamcli

Post by Joris »

Personally I used Compressor a lot back when I was still doing coorporate work (it has great MPEG-2 and Blu-Ray encoding options). It's stable, but for simple batch encoding it's a bit overkill.

On my live machine I use QTAmateur which is basically QTPro with a batch option. At the office we use Adobe Media Encoder which is great for doing encoding to several formats at once (like we need for the footage label).