Video Stuttering in Resolume

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Video Stuttering in Resolume

Post by Warspite »

Just got this problem. I have videofile (clip with sound). Everything is smooth in quicktime/mediaplayer/grandvj. But stutters in resolume. Small but stable and visible effect. No matter what framerate is reported by counter it looks like 12-15 fps.
Tested dxv, h264, photojpeg, different resolutions, v-sync, tripple buffering etc. off/on, aero off/on, etc. etc. etc. All this on different laptops.
In my case solution was to change audio preferences in resolume - set buffer size to 1024 (if i remember right default value is 2560) and changed sample rate to 48000. Can not say that it is 100% smooth but much much better. When change buffer size to extreme values video is massively stuttering. Don't understand nature of this. But may be this information will help.

p.s. another sound card may have different sweet spot. for example macbook retina runs this video smooth out of the box.

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: Video Stuttering in Resolume

Post by edwin »

The smaller the buffer size the better/smoother. A smaller buffer size means updating the video position more often per second. So set it as low as possible, when you hear cracks in the sound it's too low. Investing in a more professional soundcard will help you get to a lower buffer size.

44.000hz / 1024 (size) = 43 times a second (barely enough)
44.000hz / 256 (size) = 172 times a second (much better)

The more often the video position is updated the smoother the playback. It doesn't mean the video runs at 172 frames a second of course. It just means it won't easily miss-time a frame.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

And why do a samplerate of 44.000 and a buffersize of 64 makes the video plays in slomo? ;)
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

weckmuller
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by weckmuller »

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried to change the sample rate and buffer size and noticed a better playback of the av clips. But not 100%.

I also tried to convert the av clip to a video only clip and I also had the same problem. With the video only clip, the changes in buffer size and sample rate does not affect how the clip behaves but the stuttering is still there.

My servers are running Resolume 4.1.2 and their config is :

Intel i7 950 3.07GHz
NVidia GTX 480
8.0GB RAM
RAID 0 with 4 SSD drives with 128gb each.

I'm experiencing this issue for quite some time now and looking forward for a reply.

Thanks!