Quartz Composer in Windows?

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
ironspider
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Quartz Composer in Windows?

Post by ironspider »

Greetings all, I have not yet started experimenting with QC but I think I'd like to. So I'll track down some tutorials and such on that but I do have a "workflow" question (I suppose that's what you'd call it).

I have a MacBook Pro retina but it is the 13" version with IRIS (non-pro) so it's not going to cut it for live VJ in a 1080p situation (I can get about 1 layer in the benchmark before dropping below 30fps). So I have a powerful Windows laptop I plan to eventually run the VJ set on. BUT, I think QC is a Mac only thing (right?). So my question is, can you make something in QC (on my MBP) and then "export" it to some format so that it can be used on my PC laptop in Resolume (and can be manipulated real-time like in the Quartz and Resolume video?).

Or do you have to, realistically, shell out $2500 to get the MBP with the NVIDIA chip to use Quartz?

Thanks!

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Quartz Composer in Windows?

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Quartz Composer is Mac only.

Purchasing a new Mac solely for QC is a big commitment, especially if you haven't really used it. Just curious, what specifically does QC do that you like it so much? Depending on your use maybe Flash can accomplish your goal.

Experiment more with QC using your 13", then revisit your thoughts on a new MBP.

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Magic Visuals and Spout is the nearest to QC on the PC.

fruitygreen

vvvv.org

Post by fruitygreen »

I think vvvv is alot closer to QuartzComposer.

VVVV many plugins/addons.
MagicMusicVisuals is mainly audio reactive stuff.
Spout is more like syphon on windows.

But both vvvv and Magic are node style much like QC, but features may be objectively dissimilar.

Try it.
I like the Magic>Spout>Resolume combo.
Also VVVV>spout>Resolume is cool also.
Trying Processing>Spout>Resolume, but a little more work with certain sketches.

Benerman

Post by Benerman »

Here is something I haven't seen much on resolume forums that might help:
http://techlife.sg/TCPSpout/

TCPSpout can communicate to TCPSyphon which opens many cross platform doors. Control is always an issue, so there are network Midi bridges you can create(copperlan), Midi to mouse/key control(bome's Midi translator), and others. Basically the question is how necessary is QC to your show/needs and how hard are you willing to work to avoid shelling out $3k for portable workstation MBP.

I must look into VVVV!

DJDVaughan

Post by DJDVaughan »

I have had friends that have tried windows friendly software similar to QC, but I have seen so many different things happen from crashing to accidentally clicking a link that is going to tear apart your whole computer. Not to mention in order to fix PCs you have to go to a sketchy 3rd party store or call someone over seas. I'd recommend either trying to buy a decent used MBP for cheaper off an ebay like store, or just get the MBP. Its an investment, and if you are taking things seriously, the investment will eventually pay off :D

dachhu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dachhu »

Hello,

I have recently decided to leave Mac, due to prohibitive cost when dealing with graphic cards etc.
Sadly this means leaving behind Quartz Composer. One of the best things was the ability to drop a qtz patch in a media slot and change parameters on the fly, what is similar to this on PC, is it only the flash files situation?
Would love to have that third party software within the Resolume composition rather than spouting it in.
any suggestions?

David
DACHHU VISUALS

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

The Spout guys and gals have generously given us ShaderLoader:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11681

Connect a number of variable to Resolume (x,y,r,g,b,a) for interaction and reaction.