The future of Quartz Composer

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
destroythings
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

The future of Quartz Composer

Post by destroythings »

There is some discussion of the Quartz Composer Dev list and Facebook group today about the future of Quartz Composer and it would be great to get some feedback and input from the Resolume community.

This discussion was prompted by the closing of long existing bug reports with the following response from Apple.
"Apple Developer Relations 20-Nov-2014 08:01 PM
Engineering has determined that there are no plans to address this issue.
We are now closing this bug report”

This has started various discussion about what the future could hold for Quartz Composer and seeing as the Resolume community makes use of Quartz it would be interesting to hear this communities thoughts.
One of the things discussed is the potential for Quartz Composer to be made open source and handed over to the community to continue to develop.

There is currently a poll on the facebook group asking the following question.

If Apple were to releases Quartz Composer as either Open Source or a paid application how would you support it?
- I would pay for a version of Quartz Composer that was actively maintained
- I would contribute crowdfunding/pledging towards a open source version
- I would offer development time and skills to a open source version.

There is a large and active community that uses Quartz Composer in a variety of ways and it still continues to be used by many high profile companies and extensively by the real time video/installation community. One of the biggest questions raised is how a open source version of Quartz Composer could work given it's dependencies on many core OS X technologies, Also taking into consideration something that has been mentioned is the fact that so many apps make use of QCView etc this would be the biggest hurdle standing in the way of making something like this a possibility. Unless Apple open sourced QC and depreciated the exsisitng hooks that are available to developers this could be extremely difficult.
Here is a link to the poll
https://www.facebook.com/groups/quartzc ... ?qa_ref=qd

Would be interested to hear Resolume users and devs thoughts on this.

Quartz Composer dev list https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinf ... mposer-dev

Quartz Composer dev list archives https://lists.apple.com/archives/Quartzcomposer-dev

Quartz Composer Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/quartzc ... community/

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: The future of Quartz Composer

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Quartz Composer is definitely on it's way out. At best -- and this is a stretch -- Apple would rebuild it from the ground up and rebrand.

I suggest checking out Vuo. It's probably as close as you'll get to the QC environment.

Consider this: Does Quartz Composer help sell iPhones in China? It's an unfortunate reality.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Second Vuo, quartz was my first foray into visual programming from python but its dead to me now.

destroythings
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by destroythings »

I use both Vuo and Max alongside Quartz Composer but still hope to see continued development moving forward as it's a great flexible app that can be easily extended.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

It's been clear for years that QC is dead to Apple. This is why we have not invested further with for instance QC effects.

We're hoping a cross-platform alternative (like VUO is promising to be) will emerge.