Metal for Mac

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Metal for Mac

Post by ReggieUnderground »

The Metal API which was introduced for iOS8 to improve GPU performance is now coming to Macs this fall. Is this something Resolume can easily take advantage of, or are there too many factors related to video processing and plug-ins that will take time to sort out? How does it relate to OpenGL?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Metal for Mac

Post by Joris »

It's an interesting development for sure, but it's far too early to say anything meaningful about it. OpenGL 4.5 / Vulkan and DirectX 12 have been moving in a similar direction for a while now.

At the core, OpenGL is just a way to instruct your graphic card to do stuff. So is Metal. So is Vulkan. So is DirectX.

It's the question whether Resolume and other VJ apps really benefit that much from the extra things that these new technologies would offer. Sure we push the GPU hard, but most of our work is texturing a few polygons with a whole lot of pixels, not rendering millions of polygons with deferred lighting, which is what games and medical applications need this power for.

Even with all the recent hype about shaders and realtime, the most amazing shaders are written based on OpenGL 2 specs, which is as old as 2008.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Crap. This was my 3000th post and I missed it.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

I didn't mist it....It just took to long for me to bake a cake...I'm a mediatechnican not a baker :mrgreen:

url.jpg
url.jpg (212.46 KiB) Viewed 5446 times

Happy 3000 Joris!

greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar