SpoutControls

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
leadedge
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

SpoutControls

Post by leadedge »

phpBB [video]

"SpoutControls" is a C++ class and Processing library that a programmer can use to develop a controlled Spout Sender that will react to controls specific to the application.

The Freeframe SpoutController plugin is a Spout Receiver which adapts it's user interface within the host to that required by the Sender. Then you control the Sender from within the host program and forget about the sender app itself.

The Sender then does not require a GUI interface that could interfere with the graphics to be shared, or require third party communication to be set up between controller and sender. The Sender establishes the controls that the controller will use and the updates local variables when the controller has changed any controls. This can be done using only four functions.

Example controlled Senders for Openframeworks, Cinder and Processing can be used a guide for developing others.

Get it here : https://github.com/leadedge/SpoutControls/releases

Credit to Eric Medine - http://tentonraygun.com/ - who came up with the idea.

Cheers to all,
Lynn Jarvis

MkUltra
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: SpoutControls from inside Resolume

Post by MkUltra »

I'm super excited for this-- I'm hoping that I can start phasing out Flash plugins in favor of Processing, since the community is great and the system load seems smaller than the flash player... Thanks for the hard work Lynn!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: SpoutControls

Post by Joris »

:o

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

This is awesome.

One thing I may be missing, is how do you choose the sender? In a normal SpoutReceiver, you can choose the sender name, which you don't seem to be able to do in SpoutController

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

No you can't choose a sender. The sender that establishes the controls and the controller that controls it are paired together.

Typically you start up a controlled sender first - this sets up the controls that the controller will use. Then when the controller opens it retrieves this information and sets up its interface accordingly.

It would be possible to have multiple controlled senders and allow selecting a controlled sender but this is more complex than I wanted to worry about.

Really you need to try it to wrap your head around how it works.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I already use TouchDesigner with Spout/multiple sender and just use the receivers with sender names to grab different parts of my TD doc. I switch back and forth between Arena/TouchDesigner to control different parts of the senders (timings, font sizes, images etc..). Was kind of hoping this would help eliminate the need for switching, but I could always just make a master controller for everything I guess

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

Yes I can see your application, but the controller will not affect anything done in TouchDesigner if you are using the Spout Out TOP.

Multiple controlled senders would be ideal and I have a few ideas on how this could be done. Time to do it is the problem.

francoe

Post by francoe »

Lynn still rockin' our little world. Love you man.