crater projection

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
nora
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

crater projection

Post by nora »

I dont know if this developpers section is the right chapter to post this but I think I might need an other programme besides Resolume and thats why I post it here. I move the conversation if its not in place here.

First: I'm able to do a project in an empty watertower. The building is round and my projection and object will be round as well. As you can see in the attached youtube video's, I made an prototype on the wall. Its a crater form. On my wall it is 1 meter but in real I'm going to make it almost the size of the inside of the tower ( 1,5 meter to walk and dance between the wall and the crater object).
It will start with a audiovisual installation and end up in an dj or liveset.

Here you can see what i'm talking about
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I'm not very experienced yet but bought the license and did the most tutorials.
I'm going to do this project anyway but with some tips I can make it more interresting and playfull.

To start I have one problem and a request for some tips:

Problem:
When I make an advanced (round) screen the content is not round anymore. As you can see in the video with the water it turnes out quare like round.
How i did it: -output - output advanced - new screen - new slice - point mode from slice= bezier - right mouseclick: make circle.
Is this the right way to make an circle mapping output? Or are there better/rounder ways to do it?

Request:
The circle animation that is projected on the object, I made in After Effects. Its just a .mov movie.
The example in the first video is the most basic move and form to start with. There will be a sound underneath the circle lines. I like to play with the sound and the animation ( allready figured that out in tutorials..yayyy... for example; color turnes red while audio oscilator goes up). But....It would be more playfull when I can make it in a way that the effects are also going round in circles and I can play with the speeds of the different parts (the parts are the inner and outer circle). I would like to play with the speed, for example; the outer circle and sound starts earlyer but meet on the highest round meeting point anyway. The AE animation is also hard to map because the points where the circles start and meet (on the out and inner edges) aren't mappeble because of the scaling/proportions.
What I better would like to make is that the animation goes in parts. That would be like this: The outer circle moves linked to the inner circle that is moving. They come together on top. I can play with speed, line thickness, whobbles etc.in sound aswell as in video. And I can map/project it more easily.
It would be some kind of mirroring from the inner to the outer circle.

Maybe someone on this forum can help me to start in an way that it can be more playfull with the sounds and animations in a circle form?
But maybe this is the best way?; AE animation with resolume.
Last edited by nora on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: crater projection

Post by Zoltán »

You could try to make a round mask above your slice instead of a round slice, then whatever you play won't get distorted by the advanced output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nora
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by nora »

Now a couple of months later I showed it in an exhibition and it looks like I may build it up and project on a very special location. I like to maken it more audioreactive. I am hoping for some advice from this forum :)

This is the situation now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-R-i2dbNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOYChnXbR_A

The lines I made in After effects and saved it as a movie.
I made a mapping in resolume to finetune it so that the 'lighting ups' fit exactly on the upper corner and ground of the crater.

Now my question is: I want to make the lines (=movie) audioreactive.
I would be nice if they dance on the base for example.
I red something about alpha channels. Is it possible to do the lineanimation again and save it so that resolume can make it audioreactive?
Or maybee you guys have other/better suggestions?

Next week it has to be ready. It is my dreamgoal the place where I may show it off :D

Hope to hear and get the advice for this problem.

Nora

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

Instead of trying to make your AE work audio reactive (though there are ways), try this for starters:

Add a Lines source and apply PolarKaleido effect
Set the line width to Audio FFT External (or Comp or Clip depending on where the audio is coming from)

This will give you basic circles pulsing to the audio