Can anybody make a Slit-scanning & a Rutt Etra FFGL plugin?

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Can anybody make a Slit-scanning & a Rutt Etra FFGL plugin?

Post by philmcrackin »

It's almost 2016 and we still don't have these plugins? If somebody could develop these two FFGL plugins than I could finally get off the Mac platform and not have to deal with any hassle using Hackintosh setups. Anybody down for the challenge?

Sadler

Re: Can anybody make a Slit-scanning & a Rutt Etra FFGL plug

Post by Sadler »

If you can run QC: Forum Post

If you're on Windows
Rutt Etra
Rutt Etra
Rutt Etra.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 14589 times
Top is FFGL Volume bottom is VideoHeight shader running in ShaderLoader

A slit scan FFGL would be cool but it would require the plugin to look back in time a long way meaning it would have to load a large proportion of frames into memory.

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

Sadler wrote:A slit scan FFGL would be cool but it would require the plugin to look back in time a long way meaning it would have to load a large proportion of frames into memory.
So this quartz composer composition here just runs off of the cpu? http://www.memo.tv/archive/timestretchi ... z_composer

There's got to be some hack for a FFGL plugin to utilize the CPU vs the GPU right?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Slit scanning is just basically a feedback technique. Crop your source image down to 1 pixel width, leave it at full height. Then place a Feedback source in the layer above it at full opacity and put its X Position at +1.

Welcome to 2015 :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 17.54.06.png
Attachments
SlitScan.avc
(29.54 KiB) Downloaded 877 times

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

When I was referencing slit-scanning I was talking about a different style of slit-scanning found in this Quartz Composer plugin: http://www.memo.tv/archive/timestretchi ... z_composer You can see an example of what plugin looks like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtM6b7AyKLc Is there anyway to to do this style of slit-scanning in Resolume without Quartz Composer?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Sorry, buddy. Memo's patch doesn't do anything on the two Mac's that I tried it on.

I do see some horizontal movement in your video, but it's far too cluttered to make out what your version of the slitscan is and what are other pixel effects splashed on top.

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

Joris wrote:Sorry, buddy. Memo's patch doesn't do anything on the two Mac's that I tried it on.

I do see some horizontal movement in your video, but it's far too cluttered to make out what your version of the slitscan is and what are other pixel effects splashed on top.
Did you try them in VDMX? You can see exactly what they look like in VDMX. I had to do some hackery to get it to work in Resolume, relevant YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-cJay1ogTA

Joris

Re: Can anybody make a Slit-scanning & a Rutt Etra FFGL plugin?

Post by Joris »

Thanks for the video. I kinda know how to make QC work in Resolume :)

To answer your question, I tried them in QC itself. Memo's slit scan uses the Accumulator patch (which is essentially a feedback effect), and QC has known problems with the Accumulator patch and AMD cards. Unfortunately both Macs I have available have AMD cards.

If you really want to push this thread forward into 2017, why don't you make a clearer video of what you'd like to see?

philmcrackin

Re: Can anybody make a Slit-scanning & a Rutt Etra FFGL plugin?

Post by philmcrackin »

Joris wrote:Thanks for the video. I kinda know how to make QC work in Resolume :)

To answer your question, I tried them in QC itself. Memo's slit scan uses the Accumulator patch (which is essentially a feedback effect), and QC has known problems with the Accumulator patch and AMD cards. Unfortunately both Macs I have available have AMD cards.

If you really want to push this thread forward into 2017, why don't you make a clearer video of what you'd like to see?

I'll use Vade's Syphon Recorder or record the slit-scanning patch with a video camera and upload a video. I know my responses aren't apropos but I don't really have access to the hardware 24/7 as I don't own it, it's a Hackintosh with an Nvidia card. This is a really good video demonstrating the effect, it's very similar to the effect i'm using in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7V24QcZUy4 You can definitely see the lines/pixels in Memo Akten's QC patch whereas in the video it's not that noticeable.