Vector import to Advanced Output

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
freaher
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Vector import to Advanced Output

Post by freaher »

Hi there.. i found this https://github.com/jorisdejong/ASSVG,
as a result on a search for import illustrator paths to advanced mapping Output on Arena. Does anybody know how to use this? I am a new by using this kind of files. The main purpose is to copy and paste or import .ai files directly into my advanced output on Arena.
Is this possible?. Thanks in advance.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Vector import to Advanced Output

Post by Joris »

Hey, that's me :geek:

I started that repo as a research project back in the days of Arena 4. It turns out it's way too difficult to get this working reliably.

SVG is an open format, and there's so many ways to store shapes that it's impossible to do any processing on this. This is no problem when you're just displaying shapes, but when you need to create slices based on it, it becomes a mess. For example, all is fine when you just create rects, but when your slice shape is made up of compound paths or separate lines, the importer won't recognise it as a slice. We can't offer such a feature when it only works 10% of the time.

Also you get into so many gotchas and requirements, like input and output slices needing to have exactly the same name or else things break, that it just ended up easier to make the presets in Arena itself.

freaher

Post by freaher »

Hi Joris,
the truth is that i would have loved to see that project working well, i'm working on a projection surface with a complex shape that I normally design with illustrator, thought of copying it from the illustrator file and paste it directly into the output in the form of a slice or just import it, (maybe I think very naive), i understand the subject of reliability and i have begun to re-build it in Arena as much as possible. Thanks for the reply. Regards

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Yeah, I feel you, I love working in Illustrator as well.

Maybe at some point we can find a way to copy an Illustrator path as a Slice Mask or Output Mask. Unfortunately converting to a complete preset setup is not in the cards.

freaher

Post by freaher »

Joris ))
Could be awesome. Just copy and paste i'll do the rest will be like xmas !!
good luck with that
Regards