Simple OSC MacOS app to set BPM in Res 5 and 6 at the same time

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Simple OSC MacOS app to set BPM in Res 5 and 6 at the same time

Post by Scratchpole »

Simple OSC app to set BPM in Res 5 and 6 at the same time. Made with https://vuo.org/
Please let me know if this works for you and if it is any use.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... 48uzDeSMOV

While making this a couple of questions appeared:
Why did you change the minimum BPM from 2 in R5 to 20 in R6?

I had to use two OSC senders with different port numbers, is that a restriction of OSC?
Why can't the two versions of Resolume listen on the same port?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Simple OSC MacOS app to set BPM in Res 5 and 6 at the same time

Post by Joris »

Great idea. I haven't touched Res 5 myself since about a year before 6 was released, but I guess I'm not your target audience :)
Why did you change the minimum BPM from 2 in R5 to 20 in R6?
No real reason
I had to use two OSC senders with different port numbers, is that a restriction of OSC?
Why can't the two versions of Resolume listen on the same port?
When using OSC, you enter in a server/client relationship. Resolume is the server and you're the client sending messages that change the state of the server.

A server re-using the same port already in use by another server is technically possible, but generally frowned upon. Unless both servers have indicated that it's okay for the other to also use the port, you cannot be sure that both will receive the data. Also, if a server that was previously 'hogging' the port was to suddenly disconnect, the other server can receive half a message, possibly causing all sorts of weirdness.

This is of course really only an issue when you're dealing with applications where receiving half a message or no message makes the difference between life or death. You could argue that in the case of Resolume, we should just always try to share the port and hope for the best.

It might be that the benefits of having shared ports outweigh the frustration of having to figure out that another application is hogging the port. So far, we've stuck to "best practices", which at least makes it very clear when your OSC input port is able to receive something and when it's not.

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Thanks for the reply Joris. The info is useful and saves me reading the OSC spec ;)
Target audience is basically just me, but thought I'd share it anyhoo.

Also partly to publicise the ease with which 'useful' things can be built with Vuo. There will be FFGL (for MacOS) export in a coming release apparently :)

Think I'll try and make another version that finds whatever servers are on the network and reads their port number then instances the BPM to each of them. I may also add an automatic BPM detector.
I'm probably just remaking functions available in Res6 and or Ableton link but it's fun learning how and then clicking make App.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

There will be FFGL (for MacOS) export in a coming release apparently :)
That would be most awesome
finds whatever servers are on the network
Take a look at Bonjour/Zeroconf. http://opensoundcontrol.org/discovery-o ... al-network
it's fun learning how and then clicking make App
There is something truly magical about it. "And then other people can just use the thing to do the thing I made to do the thing? Wow."

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Here's another version of this MacOS app I quickly knocked up this afternoon.
It automatically finds any OSC servers and their port numbers on the network and sends out the BPM to the first six of them:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... otKLnh9KXX

Tested with only two machines so far so I'd love to hear that it works with more if you try it.

Also as per your comment 'A server re-using the same port already in use by another server is technically possible, but generally frowned upon. Unless both servers have indicated that it's okay for the other to also use the port, you cannot be sure that both will receive the data.' It seems to work fine with both the machines using the same port number :D