plugMain() not called with FF_PROCESSOPENGL

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

plugMain() not called with FF_PROCESSOPENGL

Post by subpixel »

Under what circumstances does Resolume allow the instantiation of an effect (ie it appears in the Effects browser and can be added to a Clip/Layer/Group/Composition) but then not actually call plugMain() with functionCode == FF_PROCESSOPENGL ?

I"m testing a "passthrough" plugin (not intending to modify the contents of the frame) and I was surprised to find that Resolume seems to only be calling plugMain() with functionCode == FF_SET_BEATINFO (after initialisation). In my case, this is actually fine, indeed better than copying the incoming texture, but I don't know why it is happening.

I'm working on narrowing down the problem, but some insight from the Resolume dev side is welcome!

-spxl

Menno
Team Resolume

Re: plugMain() not called with FF_PROCESSOPENGL

Post by Menno »

This is not something we have to explicitly allow under once circumstance or another. Plugins aren't provided guarantees that they get a FF_PROCESSOPENGL opcode for every instance that's being created (not even if their initGL was a success).
As a result, plugins need to be sure that they're resilient against any usage deemed necessary by the host application.

subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: plugMain() not called with FF_PROCESSOPENGL

Post by subpixel »

Might ProcessOpenGL() be called if InitGL() fails, or does failure from InitGL() ensure it is not called?